World Beer Fest--Durham, OCT 7th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
**making a mental note NOT to change my clothes.. maybe wet tshirts will get a us a free ride.. **

looking forward to it...

boston, we are supposed to be at your house by 11 right?

BeerLuvnGrl said:
**making a mental note NOT to change my clothes.. maybe wet tshirts will get a us a free ride.. **

looking forward to it...

boston, we are supposed to be at your house by 11 right?

A wet t-shirt contest was not on the itinerary, but I'm willing to bend it a little. Yes, be here by 11:00, we'll get Floyds at 11:15

Don't worry BB, SWMBO is a Sawx and Pats fan. She'll beat me if I laugh too much about their 3rd place finish.

Hey Jeff, would you be upset if another dude came over tomorrow night? A guy from my homebrew club is going to be down there (He's pretty cool) tomorrow helping out for some competition and he asked me what we were doing after....I said I'd let him know my plans (didn't want to invite him without checking with you first).
He has his own car and everything, and I guess the competition committee is putting him up in a hotel, so we don't have to house him or drive him anywhere.

Cool, or no? I totally understand if not.

todd_k said:
I just want to remind everyone of the festival's Anti-Intoxication Program:

http://www.allaboutbeer.com/wbf/brewer_info/anti_intoxication.html

I don't want to see any drunk people tomorrow.....

:D

i shall remain totally sober..............

(for about 15 mins lmao!)

**now i probably should make the mental note to check with sailman and see if the wet tshirt was a bad idea..lmao!**

so dude is it gonna be raining? all day??? im really dreading rain..the tents will be PACKED

todd_k said:
Don't worry BB, SWMBO is a Sawx and Pats fan. She'll beat me if I laugh too much about their 3rd place finish.

Your SWMBO and I will get along just fine!

Dude said:
Hey Jeff, would you be upset if another dude came over tomorrow night? A guy from my homebrew club is going to be down there (He's pretty cool) tomorrow helping out for some competition and he asked me what we were doing after....I said I'd let him know my plans (didn't want to invite him without checking with you first).
He has his own car and everything, and I guess the competition committee is putting him up in a hotel, so we don't have to house him or drive him anywhere.

Cool, or no? I totally understand if not.

Of course your friend is welcome. The more the merrier. However, he can't show up empty handed....he must bring some homebrew or a reasonable facsimile. He can tabulate the beer sampling/critiquing notes for us. Does he play Texas Hold'em?

The weather sucks down here right now. Cold and rainy.

**now i probably should make the mental note to check with sailman and see if the wet tshirt was a bad idea..lmao!**

If your shirt was to get wet you may need to take it off just so you would not get a cold.

sailman said:

If your shirt was to get wet you may need to take it off just so you would not get a cold.

:mug: LMAO.

Ok guys and gals...I've had a chance to look at the weather. It will be unfavorable. We'll have 10-15 mph winds all day, with patchy rain throughout the day, ending by about 7 PM or so. Winds will die down slightly by then too.

Looking at a high of about 63, but with that wind it'll feel like 60ish.

I'm hoping the weather keeps people away--if not, those tents will be packed.

Dry clothes and warm clothes sound like a must.

I'll update this again later tonight, but I don't expect a change.

I'm sure we will still have fun. :)

sailman said:

There's a man after my own heart. Always looking out for the health and well-being of his SWMBO

Don't make me break out the Martin Brodeur jersey!

Actually, a bunch of dudes standing around wearing different hockey jerseys sounds a little weird.

todd_k said:
Don't make me break out the Martin Brodeur jersey!

Actually, a bunch of dudes standing around wearing different hockey jerseys sounds a little weird.

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go with a windbreaker, save the jersey for later on. :mug:

In past experience they don't "breathe" very well anyway. :p

sailman said:

oh REALLY??? ;)

its cold here.. looks like we will be in sweatshirts tomorrow..but the beer will still be good

I can only make 3 mixed 6 packs of homebrew to share, there really aren't too many ESB's and Porter's left. The IPA is just a dirty beer and I'm not going to subject anyone else to that filth. So, I guess I can swap beer with 3 people.

Do we have a final head count?

todd_k said:

Au contraire, mon frere. You can bet your ass that there is a cooler full of beer within spitting distance.
BTW, Martin Brodeur & friends are playing in Raleigh as I speak. I had tics but gave them up to host a poker game.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Au contraire, mon frere. You can bet your ass that there is a cooler full of beer within spitting distance.
BTW, Martin Brodeur & friends are playing in Raleigh as I speak. I had tics but gave them up to host a poker game.

They're teachin' ya how to play before tomorrow night, eh?

Walker-san said:
Jeff...

Do you have poker chips, or should I bring mine?

I have everything we need for poker. Tomorrow we're gonna need ice and last minute stuff.

Dude said:
They're teachin' ya how to play before tomorrow night, eh?

I wore my old school Sabres jersey (#7 Rick Martin) for good luck tonight. I went all in with a full house ( jacks over sixes) lost to four Jacks! Arghhh!

I think I'm dieing. Those marathon days of drinking are always fun but they next day is awful.
It was great meeting everyone and sampling all of the beers. I'm still not sure how we missed so many of those breweries. Hope I didn't make too much of a fool of myself!

EDIT:

I'm not really sure who ended up with 6-packs of my homebrew but I wanted to let those people know that:
P=Avery New World Porter clone
ESB=E.mpire S.trikes B.ack ESB
65=65.65.65.6.5 - Papazian's version of DFH 60 min IPA

Dude.... Todd... Mig SNAFU on the Hop Rod Rye.

I've got all of it right now, Dude left with none. I mean, I'm not complaining about having 8 bombers of fastastic beer, but... I think I owe Todd some money here. How much does one of these bottles cost?

Oh, and Dude... thanks for delivering the AG goods! I just need a kettle and burner and I'll be rolling.

For those who got beer from me.

If there is a (i) on a sticker on the cap, it's my latest Kaduva IPA, lotsa malt this time.

If there is a (w) on the cap, it's Titch's Wit (squeeze fresh orange in it when you drink it.)

If there is nothing on the cap (only Dude got these) it's my ASB. I'm not a big fan of it.

-walker

bah, no payment is necessary. You gave me some brew and you and Jeff also drove us around. We're even. :mug:

Did most of you attend the afternoon or evening session? There was a lot of beer missing from the evening session. Many crossed out listings and some brewery tables were even closed. You'd think they'd save a little for both sessions. Other than that, what a great party.

Nate said:
Did most of you attend the afternoon or evening session? There was a lot of beer missing from the evening session. Many crossed out listings and some brewery tables were even closed. You'd think they'd save a little for both sessions. Other than that, what a great party.

We were partly responsible for emptying most of those kegs. Sorry. The problem you mention is one of the reasons we went to the early session.

for those that got beer from us..

CW (blue top) is cherry wheat
CC (gold top with BB) is Caramel Cream Ale
HC (gold top) is my holiday cheer is a belgium wheat.. it needs about 2 more weeks to condition.

we had a great time and enjoyed LOTS of fun!!

thanks for having us at your house boston and for driving us there!!!!

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
We were partly responsible for emptying most of those kegs. Sorry. The problem you mention is one of the reasons we went to the early session.

In particular, Todd and Dude might have drained most of the beers available at the cask ale tent.

no, not all the beer is the cask ale tent, just the Loose Cannon. IMHO, best beer at the festival! :drunk:

todd_k said:
I think I'm dieing. Those marathon days of drinking are always fun but they next day is awful.
It was great meeting everyone and sampling all of the beers. I'm still not sure how we missed so many of those breweries. Hope I didn't make too much of a fool of myself!

What's your hangover recovery process? Mine yesterday consisted of the following:
  • two cups coffee, two antacids
  • long, slow run in the rain
  • hot shower
  • two trips through the Indian buffet
  • two hour nap

By 4pm, I was feeling like new!

Hey, it was great seeing everyone Saturday!

nosnhojr said:
What's your hangover recovery process? Mine yesterday consisted of the following:
  • two cups coffee, two antacids
  • long, slow run in the rain
  • hot shower
  • two trips through the Indian buffet
  • two hour nap

By 4pm, I was feeling like new!

Hey, it was great seeing everyone Saturday!

I was a little groggy Sunday morning but (surprisingly) not hung-over. It was a good day to chill out, watch football, take long nap.

The hangover cure for me is water and gatorade, advil, hot shower, a little bit of food to see how things go and then if the pipes aren't shaking, eat some more. Also, try to remember to drink water before going to sleep or in my case, before passing out. :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: That and make SWMBO drive home to Richmond! :D

BOSTONBREWIN' said:

Can't believe you guys drank our beer... I'm shocked. :mug:

You guys are whimps. I went to bed at 3am and was up at 7am with the kids. Breakfast was on the table at about 9, and I had chopped a cord of wood by noon.

-walker

PS: ok, that "cord of wood" comment was BS.

Walker-san said:
You guys are whimps. I went to bed at 3am and was up at 7am with the kids. Breakfast was on the table at about 9, and I had chopped a cord of wood by noon.

-walker

PS: ok, that "cord of wood" comment was BS.
You're all wimps, I don't think I slept at all. Then again, I only had 2-3 beers at Jeff's.

ps I stuck a Weizenbock in somebody's pocket...has a defunct brewery cap on it that has a white "H" with black/aqua background (Carolina Panthers colors, if I daresay...and I do).

Baron von BeeGee said:
ps I stuck a Weizenbock in somebody's pocket...has a defunct brewery cap on it that has a white "H" with black/aqua background (Carolina Panthers colors, if I daresay...and I do).

Cool... You're like the Beer Fairy or something.

-walker

Back