Work is crappy, where to go from here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zepth

Reaction score
So the title basically says it. To give the ultra short version: Stopped being a yes-man and started giving a crap about myself. Company didn't take too kindly to that. As work often has me travel out of the city for days on end (truck driver, but not cross country) and they can't provide the sleeping arrangements (berth is crappy and filthy, without mattress) I've also stopped paying out of pocket for motel expenditures. Company also didn't take kindly to that. It's now to the point where I'm refusing the trips because of all the out-of-pocket-non-reimbursable expenses cause me not make any net profit for multiple days work.

Problem is now I'm starting to get the less desirable jobs (lower pay based on commission, shorter <meaning less commission>, hourly rate vs. commission, etc) as what appears to be their either punishment or incentive to start hating myself again for the betterment of the company. This puts me in a non-ideal scenario to say the least.

Of course going the the labour board isn't a good option. Sure they put on the face of being there for the worker, but as soon as theres a complaint made the employer usually finds a way to make things so crappy the employee just quits shortly thereafter. "Oh they quit? Well you can't blame me, I didn't fire them..."

Fortunately as a truck driver with 4 years experience I have the option of looking and being considered for the job. Without that experience was hell to try and find employment. I've also make good ties with a microbrewery nearby and spoken about potential employment when things slow down at current job (Though at the time didn't expect total nonsense at current job). Potential issue with that would be turning a hobby/passtime into work and it no longer being enjoyable.

So what is my life plan from here? Look for a different job? Deal with crap hours/rates at current job? Or go back to crap scenarios where I end up paying with my health and wellness? As far as I can tell I'm screwed no matter what choice is made.

That's it. I've made my peace at the moment.

*Disclaimer*
Anyone who replies will not be held liable for the advice given. This means they will not be blamed if I listen to their advice and my life gets worse from here.

I'm in the US, so I don't know the Ontario market, but a driver that can pass a drug test here is valuable. Find another company to drive for. And then see of you can work at the microbrewery on your days off. It would be a pain because you give up free time, but a benefit because you'll find out if you like it while you still have another job. If you do like it, you can transition - and if you hate it, not great loss.

Do you have any kids? Are you married? You sound miserable, so find a new job. As much as people say there's no work, there is work. You just have to look for it and be ready to make the change.

Work the crap job until you can find another job. Set yourself a time goal for finding the new job. It helps motivate you. Two cases from my past crap jobs:

1. 1998: I realized I really hated my job and my boss. I decided to look for a new job. I set myself the goal of two months to find it. I was laid off one week into my job search. It took me a total of 10 weeks to find the new job.

2. 2003: Had a job I loved. But the dot com bubble burst, there were accounting scandals everywhere, and the economy was in recession. The company I worked for closed their local office and I was given 5 weeks severance.

I was devastated. I had just gotten married and bought a house and now I had no means to pay for it. Instead of getting depressed about it, I networked like hell. I called everyone I knew in the business and called all the headhunters who had ever called me.

Found a new job in 4 weeks, but it was one I would not have taken if I had not been unemployed. Never stopped job searching. It was six months before I got myself an interview for another job. The next interview was four months after that.

It ended up taking 13 months to get another job offer. I took it. I love the job and I'm still working it.

My bottom line is: A good job is better than a bad job. But a bad job is better than no job. Don't get depressed over the situation you are in. Let it motivate you.

You need a puppy. With floppy ears and a cold nose. The world is the best place when you have a puppy with floppy ears and a cold nose.

(remember the disclaimer)
Allergies :( But I do have a pet scorpion! He's just not to personable some days.
Do you have any kids? Are you married?
Not through lack of trying!

Update time: The boss called me into the office today, me having been there a few times before didn't expect this to go well. Had a serious man to man discussion about what's going on and where things need to go from here. Both agreed that the others had reasonable points and suggestions for the future. One of his suggestions was "Look for other work. You're a good employee, and I'd hate to see you go, but if things continue <down this path> you'll be better off elsewhere." That speaks volumes.

So it seems a bad couple of days and a quick discussion later everything might work out fine. I'm also slightly less into the homebrew this evening. Still interested in the holy grail job that pays well with weekends off and benefits, but for the time being I should be alright with the current spot. "The evil you know" I guess.

Thanks for suggestions and listening to the drunken ramblings. Sometimes a guy just needs to vent.

The boss called me into the office today.......One of his suggestions was "Look for other work..........but for the time being I should be alright with the current spot

I think you must be drunk NOW!! If your boss gives you warnings of the future with the company, you need to LISTEN and FIND ANOTHER JOB.

I think you must be drunk NOW!! If your boss gives you warnings of the future with the company, you need to LISTEN and FIND ANOTHER JOB.

Looking back it seems as though a little more context can greatly change the impact of the statement. Without going into too much detail, it was more of less a matter of:

"X task is a very important part of this company. It's fine with me if you'd rather just do Y, except it's unlikely you'll be able to pay your bills come winter. With that, you'd be better to find other employment that will support you. Or start doing task X again."

Evaluate the worst conditions, pay , hours etc. That is the starting point for another job, you have proved you can get by on that remuneration and you would have a chance at being happy. Then start looking for more dosh, conditions etc.

Can you get a tractor-trailer license? I got one through NETTS in NH, but, was unable to meet the Fed stds when the TTL was federalized. Some fleets are going to natural gas fuel, so oil may not be an issue.
Oh, wait: the Baaken(sp?) oil fields in Dakotas(and Alberta?): A rough life, but good pay. Drivers may be valuable, as area has no pipelines. Check it out.

You need a puppy. With floppy ears and a cold nose. The world is the best place when you have a puppy with floppy ears and a cold nose.

(remember the disclaimer)

And name him Fred

snowmanandfred.jpg

Sounds like you got a good, reasonable boss. He's obviously concerned about you, but he probably won't be losing any sleep over what happens. He has to look out for his job first and foremost, and with most industries, employees are replaceable. The pay and working conditions will determine which employees he gets and he knows it, and continues to work within those confines. There's only so much he can do to manipulate those circumstances.

I'm impressed that he took the initiative to have a frank discussion with you, and I'm equally impressed that you considered his position and points. It's way too easy to sit back and say "eff those guys and their horse". I've been in that spot before waffling between angry and helplessness and it SUCKS! But the ultimate answer is to get a different job. Simply being content at work, not even necessarily happy, is worth more money than most people realize.

Keep looking, you'll find something eventually.

Can you get a tractor-trailer license? I got one through NETTS in NH, but, was unable to meet the Fed stds when the TTL was federalized. Some fleets are going to natural gas fuel, so oil may not be an issue.
Oh, wait: the Baaken(sp?) oil fields in Dakotas(and Alberta?): A rough life, but good pay. Drivers may be valuable, as area has no pipelines. Check it out.
I have one right now. I actually ended up in the current job as a "need driver who can also do these tasks."
I'm impressed that he took the initiative to have a frank discussion with you, and I'm equally impressed that you considered his position and points. It's way too easy to sit back and say "eff those guys and their horse". I've been in that spot before waffling between angry and helplessness and it SUCKS! But the ultimate answer is to get a different job. Simply being content at work, not even necessarily happy, is worth more money than most people realize.

Keep looking, you'll find something eventually.
Would have been a very short term solution to tell the company what to do with their job and walk out. Problem is that there are bills to pay and I'd like to have something lined up before leaving.

On a happier note, I went over to that local microbrewery I was talking about earlier a couple weeks ago and they seemed happy to see me and inquired if I was still considering employment. Keeping with the original story (and as it happens, the truth) is that late fall or winter will be my time to move jobs. I may even bring some of my 100% positive user review IPA and chocolate stout to refresh my resume.

Don't work a brewery job, as you will ruin your back. And, stop wasting time brewing. Start watching the News and see where drivers are needed. Are you single? Can you relo? Go bring a few 6-paks to local TT School, and make some buds/contacts. They know who is hiring and all the hemorrhoids involved. You keep peeing around and soon the next polar vortex is going to be nipping at your hiney. Stay tuned!

Don't just quit. Line something up first (like you say you intend too).

Keep looking for jobs and stay positive (see/read "law of attraction" immediately).

Life is a ***** and too short to not do something that pays the bills AND makes you happy.

I think you should take the most valuable shipment possible, drive it straight to Tijuana, sell it on the black market and live a life of drunkenness & debauchery for a year or 2.

disclaimer applies.

Back