Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere that it was an early twentieth century "word" that fell out of use and has made a comeback and has always been "low-brow". I'm too lazy to look it up.

BTW, you can add cromulent to the list...

I'd understood the same, again no sources to back it up. I specifically recall in high school someone said it, and the whole class, teacher included, ripped into him saying "that's not a real word". Came back with pages upon pages of proof that yeah, it's a word.

And I like cromulent. Can't go wrong with a Simpsons reference. But I don't hear it used to often so that might be part of it.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I read somewhere that it was an early twentieth century "word" that fell out of use and has made a comeback and has always been "low-brow". I'm too lazy to look it up.

BTW, you can add cromulent to the list...

Ok, sorry for misunderstanding. In any case, I think we'd all be better off if the word dropped out entirely.

But, let's not be rash and say things about "cromulent" that we might regret later... :ban:

Um. All I can ever think about when someone is talking, is their repeated usage of the "word" um.

Um. All I can ever think about when someone is talking, is their repeated usage of the "word" um.
Normally I pick up on the 'um' abusers as well.

But my boss is a different story. His "wait for my brain to catch up" word is 'basically'. There's three or four of us in the office that have picked up on it, and in meetings we'll flash finger counts at each other to see if we've all caught the same number.

One that I was just reminded of. Not a word or phrase so much as an expression:

When any sports fan (ESPECIALLY one that didn't actually play sports in high school, let alone the collegiate level) refers to the success, failures, or upcoming games of their favorite team by saying "we". Last time I checked, your name wasn't on the roster, pal. I believe the word you're looking for is "they".

Normally I pick up on the 'um' abusers as well.

But my boss is a different story. His "wait for my brain to catch up" word is 'basically'. There's three or four of us in the office that have picked up on it, and in meetings we'll flash finger counts at each other to see if we've all caught the same number.

company I worked at got bought out by a group. one of these guys abused "um" and "uuuhhhh" when he talked. some of us were joking about that on break when my boss got real defensive about it.
my boss: "You know why he does that? He's an MIT graduate genius. When he does that he trying to find a way to say something so we can understand!"
me:"BS! He just has a hard time talking to groups."

but my boss thought that if you weren't a college graduate, then you were just dumb and couldn't comprehend simple concepts.

biohaz7331 said:

Yeah that bothers me to. All the variations as well: "but um", "and um", "um uh"

One that I was just reminded of. Not a word or phrase so much as an expression:

When any sports fan (ESPECIALLY one that didn't actually play sports in high school, let alone the collegiate level) refers to the success, failures, or upcoming games of their favorite team by saying "we". Last time I checked, your name wasn't on the roster, pal. I believe the word you're looking for is "they".

Amen.

When I worked for an aerospace company several years ago, management liked to use "matrix" as a verb, meaning "to tabulate something."

As in, "let's matrix a cost-benefit analysis of jamming our heads further up our posterior orifices."

Drove me effing nuts.

Another one I hate? "Cost-benefit analysis"

Playing WoW the other day, some yutz angrily said "stop pulling huntard". I was unaware I was "pulling" but I hate it when people end a word with "tard" so much that I decided I couldnt let it go. I instructed him to perform felatio on me, and made a little smiley face.

Yeah, I was totally kicked out of the instance, but I hope he had a nerd fit.

This for college sports, when the person never graduated college, much less the Division 1 school they are a die hard fan of. Then they continue to dis all other schools (including anyone else's Alma Matter to their face) because "their" team is so much better. Makes me mad to no end.

Can I just say that part of why Im not a sports fan is having sports arguments just seems so unnecessarily stressful...

I don't mind Sports Talk, but "Politics Talk" really grinds my gears :mad: It's more opinion-based and less statistics-based... And who really wants to hear your argumentative opinions that differ from my own anyway? Not that I care. We could be in total Anarchy as far as I'm concerned.

Learn how to make stupid people click on internet ads using this one weird trick discovered by a mom...

While you're at it, you can cut tummy flab, get smooth skin and silky hair, master a new language in one week, become a guitar shredding legend, boost testosterone, reduce energy bills and unlock endless libido.

...all of this by simply using this "one weird trick", eating these "five odd foods", using these "regular household items" and avoiding these "three common mistakes".

Doctors, language professors, oil companies, the government, guitar teachers - they all hate him/her/it and will stop at nothing to keep you from knowing this one weird trick. It's all some kind of whacked out conspiracy, man!

"In my opinion" needs to go. Thanks for telling me that's what you thought because I assumed you were spouting off other people's opinions.

Also when athletes win a game and say "we shocked the world". You won a basketball game that most of America, nevermind the entire world, had no idea was going on.

Gah this one bugs the crap out of me, but I don't hear it that often until a time like today when my ignoramus boss piped out -
"Justin Bieber is a little morphodite". Really? Are you sure you didn't mean "hermaphrodite?"

This for college sports, when the person never graduated college, much less the Division 1 school they are a die hard fan of. Then they continue to dis all other schools (including anyone else's Alma Matter to their face) because "their" team is so much better. Makes me mad to no end.

+30 for this. I have a dysfunctional alcoholic soldier, whose one of the worst I've ever encountered that failed out of his first year and that University of South Alabama (USA), that is the exact person you speak of for Auburn Football.

New & improved
It has to be one or the other. If its new than their was not one before to improve . If its an improvement than it cant be a new product

"Libary" - for library

"Arthur" - for author

these things are border lined acceptable for young children, but saying them as an adult makes me want to crap on the hood of your car, or something awful...

"At the end of the day"

Almost always said by a ****** that thinks he/she is the smartest person in the room.

mannye said:
"At the end of the day"

Almost always said by a ****** that thinks he/she is the smartest person in the room.

That one has come along several times. I feel fortunate to work in a machine shop, where the expressions are more like "dead nuts", and "right on the tit nipples." Screw corporate America

That one has come along several times. I feel fortunate to work in a machine shop, where the expressions are more like "dead nuts", and "right on the tit nipples." Screw corporate America

And "just off by a ...." wait, you're trying to get me to use the word that shall not be spoken, aren't you? Sneaky you are.

Ha! I remember when I was a kid helping to restore a 57 Caddy convertible (what a CAR!) and the guy said after applying heat and Liquid Wrench to a stubborn nut..."There ya go...you could put your d--k on it and it'll come right off" I THINK he meant the nut..

Not sure how prevalent this is in other areas, but in South Western Pennsylvania it is not uncommon to hear people pronounce "wash" as "worsh" and "Washington" as "Worshington." My mother does this all the time and it gets me upset. (Maybe I need to relax and have a home brew.)

One thing that I used to do that caused a couple people to go crazy was pronounce "heal" as "hill" and "peel" as "pill." I never knew I did it until it was pointed out to me. I actually changed so I pronounce them correctly now.

argyle said:
Not sure how prevalent this is in other areas, but in South Western Pennsylvania it is not uncommon to hear people pronounce "wash" as "worsh" and "Washington" as "Worshington." My mother does this all the time and it gets me upset. (Maybe I need to relax and have a home brew.)

One thing that I used to do that caused a couple people to go crazy was pronounce "heal" as "hill" and "peel" as "pill." I never knew I did it until it was pointed out to me. I actually changed so I pronounce them correctly now.

I have noticed some of you people from out in pennsyltucky say this made up word "yins" this word just hurts my ears

Ex: what are yins doing? Or Where did yins go? See it is used like " y'all " which is also dumb but I can at least see how y'all comes from "you all," but what the hell is yins??

I have noticed some of you people from out in pennsyltucky say this made up word "yins" this word just hurts my ears

Ex: what are yins doing? Or Where did yins go? See it is used like " y'all " which is also dumb but I can at least see how y'all comes from "you all," but what the hell is yins??

Spelled "Yinz" or "Yunz" it is the plural version of "you." So equating it to "Y'all is pretty accurate. I don't like "yunz" either, although I do say it from time to time. I see you're from New Jersey so might I hear "Yous" in your area?

Ha Ha! You just wrote "Pennsyltucky," which btw is another one of my hated words. :)

Boy! I never knew I was so picky!!!

Latest posts

Back