Woodchuck Granny Smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JsnSnk

Reaction score
So in the recipe section there is a Woodchuck Granny Smith recipe. That said after 12 pages sounds like it is not so like the bottled cider.

The tartness and same body is what I am looking for. Not sweet, but carbed and not totally dry.

Right now I have 4 gallons of pasteurized cider, 2# dextrose, 4 cans of apple concentrate, 2 of limeade concentrate and Red Star Champane yeast going. Has been fermenting for about 9 days and has slowed down to about one bubble every 15 seconds.

Am trying to figure out what to ad and when to get this to the taste I want. Am newer to this. Am thinking of a taste when it is dry. Based on that sweetening with stevia and souring with Malic Acid. Bottle with dextrose and let mellow.

So other than leaving out the chocolate and other grains on the google search what's a guy to do?

My wonderfull and supporting girlfriend loves Hornsbys Crisp Apple, I like more the Draft Horsbys or Woodchuck Granny Smith. Another question is, could I spilt this batch into two 3 gallon carbons and get two totally different tasting batches?

Again. Brand new. Have this, Joes quick mead and a batch of skeeterpee going. Next Sunday taking a brew class to really learn to brew and doing a IPA (extract based) with heavy Simcoe Hops. Citrusy IPA.

Back