Women Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh...Ditto here! I am originally a wine girl and love all beverage but got turned onto homebrewing from my Father-in-law. Since its his daddy, the hubs thinks he knows everything there is to know (very male like tendency). If he goes to the LHBS, he chats up the people and then can't even relay the correct information he gathered there!!
I got the ball rolling and received my brew kit for my Bday, have read every book within reach, joined forums, etc.... and yet he has found a way to attempt to take the lead as the "brewmaster" and his brewery names are hedonistic and completely unrelated to my involvement.

I used to get a chuckle out of the industry stereotype surrounding women...like when I would approach the table to offer my assistance and the host would ask me to go and get the sommelier........yeah, that's me A@@HOLE. Or when I am the guest at the table and the wine list would be presented to my date even when I was the one who asked for it. OH and when I order both drinks and when they make it to the table I am automatically served the Cider or Blue Moon and not the Guinness.

<sigh> That's my vent...glad to see I'm not alone :) Now hand me my drink...
An update on my LHBS....when I go in, they ask me what I need and measure my grain for me. My male homebrew friend just reported that they make him measure it himself...

At "new" homebrew stores I visit when I'm traveling, sometimes I'm treated like a real brewer, sometimes not. Usually, they say "Can I help you?" to my husband who shrugs because he has no idea what brewing entails, beyond "grain".

I have the opposite problem. When I go to the bigger HBS around here, I can't get the time of day unless I'm with Amy. Then for some reason all the guys who work there want to talk to us . . .

I suppose this would be a good thread to introduce myself and say hello.
I'm a female beer snob who just setup her very first batch of homebrew that is making lovely bloop bloop bloop noises from the corner of my bedroom (a quiet, cool spot that is the safest spot for the carboy at the moment).
I made the Twisted Enkel extract kit from NB.
Made sure the yeast pack (Wyeast 3864) was very much alive before I pitched it.
Added a tbsp of coriander last 5 minutes of boil.
Used an airation system (metal airstone + aquarium pump) prior to pitching the yeast.
StarSan is my friend.
Primary fermenter is a 6 ga. PET carboy.
The wort seems happy, and smells wonderful (hoptastic!)

Why did I get into homebrewing? Because I love good beer. I'm a big fan of Belgian dubbels and tripels, IPAs that have not been too terribly hopped, and other microbrew ales that have some character. Always get a kick out of when I'm at a local liquor store offering microbrew tastings, and I'm the only woman tasting the Belgian-style elixirs. Yeah, I get some serious nerd cred for that. :rockin:

Anyway, glad to see there are other women out there who are into homebrewing. This site is a great resource.

Should know by mid-June whether or not my first batch was a success.

Women can't possibly have time to brew, they'd better be it the kitchen makin me a sammich!
But in all honesly, i do the cooking in my house.

there are so many posts i want to respond to in this thread, it's rediculous.

First, i love the idea of women brewers, but more than one brewer per household is a recipe for disaster, presuming there is limited room for fermenters/bottles/kegs.

First response, that painting is amazing. i love the imagery. the varied expressions, the animalistic bone fire and all that implies about life. wonderful artistry as well as historical representation.

Second, coupling is one of my favorite shows of all time. The giggle loop is real!

And lastly, yoop is our hero, it's time to admit it, put the machismo on the shelf for the time being.

Afterthought: the thought of a woman brewer drinking a hydro sample makes me tingly, take that as you may.

rosie_the_brewercopy.jpg

My LHBS is run by a woman and I've asked her for advice a few times, and she was always dead on.

I signed up here just for that.

I suppose this would be a good thread to introduce myself and say hello.
I'm a female beer snob who just setup her very first batch of homebrew that is making lovely bloop bloop bloop noises from the corner of my bedroom (a quiet, cool spot that is the safest spot for the carboy at the moment).
I made the Twisted Enkel extract kit from NB.
Made sure the yeast pack (Wyeast 3864) was very much alive before I pitched it.
Added a tbsp of coriander last 5 minutes of boil.
Used an airation system (metal airstone + aquarium pump) prior to pitching the yeast.
StarSan is my friend.
Primary fermenter is a 6 ga. PET carboy.
The wort seems happy, and smells wonderful (hoptastic!)

Why did I get into homebrewing? Because I love good beer. I'm a big fan of Belgian dubbels and tripels, IPAs that have not been too terribly hopped, and other microbrew ales that have some character. Always get a kick out of when I'm at a local liquor store offering microbrew tastings, and I'm the only woman tasting the Belgian-style elixirs. Yeah, I get some serious nerd cred for that. :rockin:

Anyway, glad to see there are other women out there who are into homebrewing. This site is a great resource.

Should know by mid-June whether or not my first batch was a success.

are you accepting marriage proposals? :D

LOL been there, done that. I intend to be a wacky old lady someday, making my homebrew and enjoying it (in my garden) while listening to my dinosaur rock and growing my hair.

Just keep all of your 30 cats away from the burping brew :)
:mug:

Cheers!

Ladies (and the men who love us) I started a club for women brewers on the club page. Surprised to not see one there seeing how popular this thread is. Anyhow the invite stands for any and all! Ninkasi and Maenads

LOL been there, done that. I intend to be a wacky old lady someday, making my homebrew and enjoying it (in my garden) while listening to my dinosaur rock and growing my hair.
May I join you? I vote for a women brewers group for this reason alone.

don't assume I want a flippin' wheat beer because I have breasts!

A zinger that is! Somebody's gotta put it in their signature!

I've only read the first 4 pages of this great discussion (so far) but wanted to get in on the action! I think it's natural and okay for people to make assumptions. Assumptions are malleable first guesses, too me atleast. When an assumption/hunch is wrong and the person doesn't adjust their thinking/actions to the facts it becomes chauvinist, racist, whatever. We all have prejudices, there's a great leap between prejudices and chauvinism/racism/etc. Since the OVERWHELMING majority of brewers are male it's generally a safe assumption that if a couple is at a brew event, the male is the brewer/more interested party in the hobby. I defend no actions beyond the initial 'mistake'. To take it further is just wrong, sorry you ladies have to endure it!

My local HB club founded in Aug 2008 has had 2 presidents, both female. However both have brewed exactly 1 batch apiece. The members of the club don't have a problem with female brewers/female authority, obviously. However we've had people get their panties in a wad (dang my sexist text) and not join because of female leaderships vailed behind, they're not even brewers. The members were like, Good Riddance! As the Laughing Gnome said, a brewer's a brewer's a brewer... or something like that!

I've often wanted to ask the moderators to put up a poll asking people to click through a couple of simple poll questions dealing with age, race, ethnicity, & perhaps faith. I would love to know how many people of those that respond are African American or the % of female respondents, etc. Think of Garret Oliver or Lesley Henderson and other minority brewing pioneers and the social tenor they've had to face, female and black brewers are simply a rarity in craft brewing.

So how about that poll moderator?

Sex M/F
Age 21-30/31-40/41-50/51-60/60+
Race Wht/Blk/Hispanic/Asian/Pac Islander/etc
Faith Athiest/Non-Believer/Casual Christian/Strongly Christian/Jewish/Muslim/etc

I would love to see something like this, especially in the spirit of the current Census year! I think some of us would be surprised at the info... or maybe not!

Schlante,
Phillip

That's cool! I can send you a larger one if you'd like it (didn't want to post too large of one here). :mug:

oooooh, will you email me one? I want to print it out and put it on my brewery wall!

I'll PM you my email addy!

You guys are going to think I'm nuts, but I'm NOT joining any female brewers group, or entering any "female only" brewing contests. Don't get me wrong- I genuinely like every single female brewer I've "met" here. But I would definitely get my panties in a wad over a "male only" group, or a male only competition. I am most definitely a female, but I'm a brewer. I've been promoting the whole equality thing for years. I think new members to the forum don't even realize that I'm a middle aged woman until they get to "know" me.

I've only met a few other women brewers in person, but I have met some. The great thing is I've met quite a few male brewers from this forum in person. Without exception, they have all been respectful and treated me like another brewer, not a woman who happens to brew. I met a guy from this forum last fall, and he lives only about 15 miles away from me. We've turned out to be very good friends and have had a few beers together more than once. I think he realizes I'm a women- but he (and his wife) just treat me like a brewing friend. I've had a couple of beers with him during the day while our spouses were both at work, and our spouses don't think poorly. Well, they probably both wish we were working around our respective houses instead of drinking beer and talking about brewing, but they don't seem to mind a bit that we're friends of opposite sex.

I'm sorry if I seem contrary- I'm really not! I just love this forum because the brewing knowledge is the best and we can also make true friendships here- male or female.

I won't be joining any woman's group either. That's not because I have anything against the idea. It's more of a court order related thing.

You guys are going to think I'm nuts, but I'm NOT joining any female brewers group, or entering any "female only" brewing contests. Don't get me wrong- I genuinely like every single female brewer I've "met" here. But I would definitely get my panties in a wad over a "male only" group, or a male only competition. I am most definitely a female, but I'm a brewer. I've been promoting the whole equality thing for years.

Truer words could not have been spoken. I would like to think that beer has been helping to bridge the gap between men and women for a long time and would be hesitant to join into something one sided. Why limit knowledge or the competition in competitions. If I were to place in a competition I would like to know that I did so against all of the brewers not a his/her environment....

I think new members to the forum don't even realize that I'm a middle aged woman until they get to "know" me.

I am guilty.... :)

I'm sorry if I seem contrary- I'm really not! I just love this forum because the brewing knowledge is the best and we can also make true friendships here- male or female.

I also 100% agree. I believe the saying is, "We are here for the BEER!!!!"

Well I guess that answers my question as to why it wasn't created already :)
I mean no offense to other women, or by any means meant to segregate us further...just more of a roll call, I suppose.

I should really work on my "don't drink and type" rule, cuz it sounded like a good idea at the time :eek:

Back