WLP830 german lager - best by 12/16

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBaGZ

Reaction score
Have a vial of WLP830 in the fridge with a best by date of 12/16/12. I have had it for a couple months, and I am thinking I won't get to making my lager for maybe another month or so. Should I make a small starter now, then wash it and store that in the fridge until I make my large starter for the batch?

Personally I don't think you will lose that much more yeast your probably at around 10% viability anyway. I would leave it in the vial and plug the numbers into yeastcalc you will probably need a few steps to build the numbers back up to where they should be. Consider that you will need time to decant each step or at the very least the last starter so you might have to start a few weeks before your brew anyhow.

Personally I don't think you will lose that much more yeast your probably at around 10% viability anyway. I would leave it in the vial and plug the numbers into yeastcalc you will probably need a few steps to build the numbers back up to where they should be. Consider that you will need time to decant each step or at the very least the last starter so you might have to start a few weeks before your brew anyhow.

You don't think I would save some time by stepping it up a bit now?

Latest posts

Back