Wlp810 san francisco lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
I was hoping to make a California Common using this yeast but I may not have access to lower fermentation temps. What type of affect will fermenting at 68° have?

George

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

Higher temperatures will produce more fruity esters. If you're brewing this with the intentions of entering it in competition, I would suggest trying to keep the temp lower. You can get a plastic tub, fill it with water an toss in frozen water bottles to help keep it in check.

If you're brewing it just to drink, it will be significantly more fruity than it would be at colder temperatures, but it wouldn't be undrinkable.

Ok I'll keep that in mind...... But it seems that none of my local lbhs stocks the San Fran so I think I will have to go with the California Lager WL2112. Is it safe to assume that the results of the 68° fermentation will be the same?

George

Ok I'll keep that in mind...... But it seems that none of my local lbhs stocks the San Fran so I think I will have to go with the California Lager WL2112. Is it safe to assume that the results of the 68° fermentation will be the same?

George

Those strains appear to be very similar if not the same. I've never used the Wyeast version, but I would say they'll behave the same.

At those temps, it will taste a lot like English ale yeast. Might as well go with that.

Back