WLP670 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutsidersAl

Reaction score
I picked this up the other day and I'm super stoked to use it. Apparently it's 566 (i think) with 2 strains of brett in it. Awesome.

Somebody at the LHBS suggested that I pitch it and leave it in the primary for 3 months. This is my first time working with brett at all and I understand that brett takes longer to ferment and will continue to change and develop over time. My concern is with the rest of the yeast. Won't I run the risk of autolysis if I leave this the cake for 3 months??

Thanks!

No, you should be fine. My understanding is that the brett feeds on dead sacch., so the strategy your LHBS guy recommended is fairly standard for bringing out some good brett flavors, and what is suggested here frequently.

That's what I'm doing right now for my saison that's on the Whitelabs farmhouse ale blend. I'm at the end of 3 months and getting ready to keg this week. Tasted it at 2 months, and it tastes great.

That's my plan as well. I just brewed a batch of saison and am fermenting with this blend right now. I got the same advice from Brandon at Embracethefunk.com as well. I'm going to leave it alone for about 90 days and then taste. He has a blog entry about this blend on his site you might find useful.

Here's a link to my questions about a recipe for this yeast: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/brett-saison-323632/

I currently have a Saison going using this yeast strain, it is the second one I have used it on. Lst years Saison I only left in the fermenter for a few weeks, this years I am leaving in primary for a month. I plan on doing another one and leaving it in for much longer, possibly letting it sit through the winter. The Brett will feed on the sacchro, and I have been told that it would be ok for up to 18 months, but I lack that kind of patience haha.

Fwiw, last years batch which only sat for a few weeks turned out VERY good. Nce subtle Brett character, slight tartness, excellent summer brew. This is a great Saison strain IMO.

This is all awesome info. I brew a saison just over a week ago using 670 that went from 1.046 to 1.003. I was planning to keg this just as soon as I had the space now I will wait. It's good to know the brett character will develop over the next 3 months or so.

The Brett will take 6 to 8 months to really come into it's own, and will continue to develop for up to 18 months. This is not a beer to consume early; save some bottles to taste next year.

If you read the boulevard tank 7 clone thread there were some people using wlp670 in there who said they had a ton of brett character after about 3-4 weeks. Probably varyies alot depending on ferm temps, pitching rates, etc. I just pitched this blend into a saison yesterday, will update with results if I remember.

Here's a wlp670 brew at two months...

BretB2.jpg

It went from 1.066 to 1.007 at one month. There was no floaters at that time and no pronounced funk. Just a really good, hoppy brew with a hint of earthiness.

I think I'll give it one more month in the primary and then bottle it.

Question: What do I do with the yeast cake/pellicle? Can you wash Brett?

You can wash these blends just like you would any Sacch strain. The blend will change everytime you wash and reuse it but you should be able to get a few pitches out of it.

The 2nd, 3rd pitches will work much faster. I just experienced it with the ECY03 Farmhouse blend.

Possible to make a starter with this blend anyone? I have a vial in my fridge dated best before Sep-12-11 that I forgot to use last year. I was thinking of doing an all brett farmhouse but I'm tempted to use this but I'm a little scared of direct pitching such an old vial without a starter but a starter should alter the ratios.

Anyone have any insight on a starter with this blend?

I don't have experience making a starter with it, but I'd say give it a shot. Start it a few days before you plan on brewing so you can wait and see if you get a good krausen within a day or two. If a starter alters the ratios, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe you'll get a little more brett character, but I bet it will still be really tasty.

The sacc should multiply faster than the brett, but the Brett should stay in suspension much longer than the sacc. The brett will grow and develop the longer it's in the fermenter.

I would probably say to dump your whole starter into the wort when you pitch, don't decant any of it. Then leave it in primary for a long fermentation and let that brett character come out :).

Using this old of a vial does raise the likelihood that what survived and you are growing up now is mutated. Also, while listening to the Crooked Stave BN interview recently I heard the pearl that cold storage of Brett cultures caused them to not survive longer term. So there is the risk that the Brett is completely dead.

So depending on your willingness to accept these risks you might just want to get a new vial. This one is a available year round now.

nberk said:
Using this old of a vial does raise the likelihood that what survived and you are growing up now is mutated. Also, while listening to the Crooked Stave BN interview recently I heard the pearl that cold storage of Brett cultures caused them to not survive longer term. So there is the risk that the Brett is completely dead.

So depending on your willingness to accept these risks you might just want to get a new vial. This one is a available year round now.

So what would be the recommended storage method for washed cultures of this yeast strain?

Chad Yakobson recommends storing Brett at room temp. The WLP670 is a mixed Brett and Sacc culture though. I'd store this chilled since it has the Sacc in it.

nberk said:
Chad Yakobson recommends storing Brett at room temp. The WLP670 is a mixed Brett and Sacc culture though. I'd store this chilled since it has the Sacc in it.

But probably for a shorter amount of time than a normal sacc culture? Fwiw I try to at least feed (if not doing a full repopulation and washing) every three months. This particular strain is one that I can see getting less frequent use though...

So what would be the recommended storage method for washed cultures of this yeast strain?

I recently woke up a stored sample of WLP650 (Brett-B), and it worked fine. When I first used it, I took half a pint from my starter and stored it in a half-pint mason jar in the fridge. It had been there for over a year, and started up just fine.

The beer is currently fermenting at 75 F and producing some amazing fruit flavors. I took a new half-pint sample for storage from that starter too.

Jut checked my Saison last night, I didn't get as low a gravity as some of you are reporting, mine was about 1.009. That is still low enough for me, and about what I was aiming for.

The taste is amazing. Quite possibly one of the best beers I've ever made.

I currently have a Saison going using this teenbeer strain, it is the second one I have used it on. Lst years Saison I only left in the fermenter for a few weeks, this years I am leaving in primary for a month. I plan on doing another one and leaving it in for much longer, possibly letting it sit through the winter. The Brett will feed on the sacchro, and I have been told that it would be ok for up to 18 months, but I lack that kind of patience haha.

Fwiw, last years batch which only sat for a few weeks turned out VERY good. Nce subtle Brett character, slight tartness, excellent summer brew. This is a great Saison strain IMO.

Cant you really drink any brew under the sun ? I personaly get drunk in no time with any european beers loool

Latest posts

Back