WLP380 and WB-06 problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tryger73

Reaction score
So I brewed a hefeweizen yesterday that I have done many times but decided to use white labs 380 liquid yeast for the first time. No starter. 24 hours later with no outward signs of fermentation I panicked and rehydrated some WB-06 that I had in the fridge and pitched that. Then I jumped on HBT to see what was the deal. Turns out I may have jumped the gun because of other similar lag time stories when using liquid yeast. My question is what are these yeasts going to do together? Fearing crazy phenols and funky flavors. :confused:

They will become friends and slowly eat and get drunk together. Afterwards they will take a nice beer nap. :tank:

Should be fine, the only flavors I have heard of from the WB-06 is clove but I think in the hefe it will blend really well with what the WPL380 puts out(nice spice, fruit, and banana). Don't worry to much over it you might turn out something amazing and do the same thing next time.

Cheers
-Imp

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about mixing the two yeasts. I often use multiple strains to create a more complex flavor (if the beer benefits from that sort of thing). For future brews, I would always recommend making a starter with your liquid yeast, I think you'll notice a dramatic decrease in lag time pitching a nice starter.

Thanks guys. Kind of forgot this post, mostly because the Hefe' turned out so amazing. Clove, spice, all sorts of good. Best hefe I've had since last trip to Germany! Will definately try this mix again the next time I brew this.

Back