WLP200 Best of Both Worlds - New White Labs Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teromous

Beer Gnome
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to put this out here because I noticed it on MoreBeer. White Labs WLP200 Best of Both Worlds. It's a blend of WLP001 and WLP002 in a single vial.
11184.jpg

I am very curious about this one. If any brews with this, please post on how it turns out

Seems to be a MoreBeer exclusive. It's not up on their wholesale ordering web site.

I thought it was their April Fool's joke at first. Pretty cool idea. I wonder how the ratio holds up after making a starter.

I thought it was their April Fool's joke at first. Pretty cool idea. I wonder how the ratio holds up after making a starter.

From More Beer wlp200 FAQ
"Can I make a starter with WLP200
Yes! The difference in growth rate between California and Engilsh is pretty minimal so doing a starter won't change the population ratio. "

No reviews as of yet though..

What's the difference between 200 and 007? Shouldn't the characteristics be pretty much identical?

I am fired up to brew with this one as this is exactly what I was thinking.
Bought it Friday but have to wait to finish my brew rig buildout before i can brew with it...:mug:

I am going to use it in a recipe with a substantial base of marris otter =;>
(Note: I am actually drooling as I write this...)

Bought two vials of this and used it today in an IPA. Not sure how much flavor the yeast will truly add to the beer, but hoping to get some of the profile of the 002. The yeast in the vial was very "chunky" like 002 is. It came out of the vial in 1 whole chunk. I didnt make a starter, so I cant report on that. Ill try and repot back and let you know how it turns out!!

Well, after a week of fermentation on my IPA with 2 vials of this new yeast, it has been chewed down from 1.056 to 1.010. Taste is great. I get a very slight "english" smell through the hops, but my hydro sample was very clean tasting. Not overly estery like 002, but just enough to make you realize they are there. It actually turned out great!! The fermentation was pretty vigorous. I had a blowoff on there, but the krausen never reached it. Big strong krausen on top for about 2-3 days.

I used primarily Centennial, Columbus, Cascade and Amarillo in my IPA. Hops are shining through as I wanted, and we will see how it is after the 7 day dry hop. I am happy with the yeast so far!!

I have stored cultures of both, which makes me think I should try making my own version of this by making starters of each and blending. Just a thought...

Finally racked/ kegged the batch I used this yeast. Session IPA with a heavy does of Columbus, Centennial, Apollo and Amarillo. came out GREAT!!

Yeast chewed it down to 1.010 and it came out perfect. I think for the "style" I should have used a more neutral yeast, but this worked out great. The yeast did leave some of the fruity type esters associated with the English yeast, but it was pretty good for the IPA. Maybe not the best choice, but worked very good.

I could see this being a great yeast for a Pale, ESB, and maybe even a Porter. Nice job MoreBeer.

Anyone have fermentation temperature thoughts on this yeast? I'm doing a clone of Union Jack with wlp 200 this weekend. Was thinking of fermenting at 68* because that's the overlapping recommended temp range for 001 and 002 according to white labs. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would think this strain is a little strange. It would be very hard to keep it neutral, 62ish might bring out the dreaded peach ester of 001 and about 65 would bring out the fruity ester of 002. I would love a new strain of 001 that flocced like 002 but thats about it.

Just now noticed that More Beer has done some of the work on this strain.
http://morebeer.com/images/file.php?file_id=2292

They did a trial split batch with 001, 002, and 200 and found that it attenuates like 001 and flocculates like 002, the ester profile is in between 001 and 002. And they actually have some data to back it up!

Anyways, their trial was conducted at 65* so I think I'll start there.

Ok so I have just completed my second batch on the new 10g rig. Yes it took me forever to finally get to this, its funny how life/work gets in the way.

Anyway, I did an amber first with 001 then did this one with a marris otter base for a mild brown. I can confirm that this floccs just like 005 but has a little more height to it than a straight 005. Really looking forward to this one for sure!

Ok - I have had the Wlp200 now for over a month now using a marris otter base and I must say it is lacking the British Ale flavor I usually have when I use that... has somone come up with a better recipe for this thing yet? My newcastle clone is missing something at the beggining and at the end I think. I must say I applaud morebeer and wlp for making it - it just seems like "meh" to me... sorry to all the people that love it - I think if you want a brit you go brit and if you want a cal you use cal imho...

Used the search function instead of starting a new thread. Any thoughts on a good style for this one? MoreBeer was giving away coupons for a free vial of it at the AHA conference. I figured, hey, free yeast is free yeast. I'll give it a try.

Used the search function instead of starting a new thread. Any thoughts on a good style for this one? MoreBeer was giving away coupons for a free vial of it at the AHA conference. I figured, hey, free yeast is free yeast. I'll give it a try.

One of the guys at Morebeer was talking about a porter when I mentioned it... give it a try and let us know?

I'd love to pitch this into a stout.
Might have to give it an order once I have my slanting setup in order.

What kind of lag time does this yeast have? I pitched 18 hours ago. Wort was good temp and had plenty of oxygen, and I've got no activity.

I would think this strain is a little strange. It would be very hard to keep it neutral, 62ish might bring out the dreaded peach ester of 001 and about 65 would bring out the fruity ester of 002. I would love a new strain of 001 that flocced like 002 but thats about it.

I think that's called 007 or 090.

I think that's called 007 or 090.

WLP090 is my favorite Ale yeast for most ales. Its the cleanest one ive used and its extremely fast. Its the fastest fermenting yeast strain ive ever used. It makes going from grain to glass faster by a few days and starters are done in a little over 12 hours. i still let it go 24 hours though.

What kind of lag time does this yeast have? I pitched 18 hours ago. Wort was good temp and had plenty of oxygen, and I've got no activity.

I pitched a 2L starter of this at 7 pm on 1.058 pale wort and blowoff tube was rolling by midnight.

I've used 007 a fair amount and I'm on my second run with this. They're similar. Still leaning towards 007, but I'm trying a harvest run on 200, going house pale, two-hop IPA and then a DIPA to get a better feel for it.

I've used 007 a fair amount and I'm on my second run with this. They're similar. Still leaning towards 007, but I'm trying a harvest run on 200, going house pale, two-hop IPA and then a DIPA to get a better feel for it.

I still prefer 007, but third-generation of this 200 was terrific on a DIPA. Took 1.081 OG down to 1.013 in less than 2 weeks. Good yeast. Will use it again.

Latest posts

Back