WLP028/Wyeast 1728 Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophazard

Reaction score
Going to make a Wee Heavy this weekend and am planning on pitching a starter of WLP028. White Labs notes that this yeast doesn't ferment well below 62* with ideal temps between 65-70; however, Wyeast says that the ideal fermentation temp for 1728, which I understand to be the same strain, is 55-70.

Everything I've read about Scotch ales indicates that the lower fermentation temp is key to the style, and I really wanted to ferment around 60* to limit ester production (even though it should take about 3 weeks to fully attenuate). So my question for the masses is: has anyone had luck fermenting WLP028 around 60* without it stalling? Thanks!

I've used that yeast on a scottish 80/- and a RIS around 60-62deg and they both finish fine. They did take about a month to fully ferment out but they didn't stall.

I used WLP028 in both a 70/- and 80/-. I fermented the 70/- at 68F, and the 80/- at 64F. Both turned out to be incredible beers. I noticed no real difference in the two yeast temp characteristics. The 70/- was a dead-ringer for Belhaven, and I really have to do this one again soon!

I've seen many people report that they use 028 as their house strain. I'd love to try a WIPA with it... :)

Awesome. Thanks! Figured that it was strange that White Labs had such a low temp limit on the strain compared to Wyeast given that it is typically fermented low. Guessing it's to ensure a faster fermentation so people avoid bottling/racking before the yeast is done. Given that I plan on aging it for 4-6 months anyway, time is not an issue!

The explanation for the difference is that they're different yeasts. I FAR prefer the 1728. I usually ferment it at about 55F.

The explanation for the difference is that they're different yeasts.

That would make sense. Out of curiousity, is that based on personal experience or something from Wyeast/WL? From searching the web, it seems that people anecdotally say that 1728 has a slight smokiness that's lacking in WLP028, but that WLP028 attenuantes more. But based on Mr. Malty, many people claim they are the same McEwan's strain (although I suppose there could have been some genetic drift after Wyeast/WL starting culturing).

Frankly, given that I already bought the WLP028, it's probably a moot issue for this weekend's batch, but I am curious and may pick up 1728 for a re-brew.

1728 does have a _very_ slight smokiness to it, but mainly I prefer it because it makes a much cleaner beer. That's at least partially due to its ability to ferment at much lower temps. Keep in mind also that you don't want a wee heavy to be highly attenuated. My statement about being different yeasts comes from experience, conversations with many people who have used both and some info I got from Wyeast a long time ago.

That would make sense. Out of curiousity, is that based on personal experience or something from Wyeast/WL? From searching the web, it seems that people anecdotally say that 1728 has a slight smokiness that's lacking in WLP028, but that WLP028 attenuantes more. But based on Mr. Malty, many people claim they are the same McEwan's strain (although I suppose there could have been some genetic drift after Wyeast/WL starting culturing).

Frankly, given that I already bought the WLP028, it's probably a moot issue for this weekend's batch, but I am curious and may pick up 1728 for a re-brew.

I'm drinking a brown ale right now that we brewed up using WLP028 last Saturday (yep, it's only 8 days old... and I'm drinking it). We were fully attenuated after about 5 days fermenting at 66F. One of the most prominent aspects of this beer is it's smoky character, so I can't agree it's lacking that element. That said, people seem to love this yeast... it was my first time using it and I can't say I'd use it again in anything other than a strong scotch or wee heavy. My hunch, however, is the beer will develop a tad more after sitting in the kegerator for another few days, and my opinion will likely change...

Time for a refill... this time I'm going for another 8 day old beer we call Topher's Bitter Flush... mmmmm...

Cheers!

Back