Scotch Ale Ferment Time and Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep Elem Brews

Reaction score
First post! My bro-in-law and I have been brewing for 6 months (late bloomers) and been focusing on a few recipes, BUT, we decided to try a higher gravity style and went with a Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy.
OG was 1.107 SG, volume 5.5 Gallons, and pitched WLP028 (decanted from 3L starter, re-suspended with chilled wort), temp remained around 66degF for past 2 weeks.

Question: Should we rack this to a secondary for conditioning followed by cold crashing? We are aware of risk of contamination during process, so that is not my focus.
Rather would like to hear experiences WRT sitting on yeast for extended periods (60 days). Anyone develop any off flavors from this? Should we just skip it and cold crash in primary?

Been lurking on here for a minute so glad to have your help if you have any suggestions or anecdotes.

Slainte Mhath!

I've left clean beers sitting in primary for more than a year without ill consequence. I often leave beers for months in primary. I've never made vegemite or any beef broth beers. At homebrew volumes, unless you have a large homebrewing system, the pressure on the yeast isn't enough for this to be a serious concern. IMO your likelihood of off flavors is more likely to come from poor fermentation practices on big beers.

You don't need to leave those beers bulk aging more than a week or two after fermentation unless you want to. You may want to do an extended cold crash or like me you may feel a little oxidation benefits the beer but it is not necessary. If fermentation is done and the beer tastes good it's ok to package.

IYou don't need to leave those beers bulk aging more than a week or two after fermentation unless you want to. You may want to do an extended cold crash or like me you may feel a little oxidation benefits the beer but it is not necessary. If fermentation is done and the beer tastes good it's ok to package.

Was seriously sound advice! Placed primary 6.5 gallon fermenter into cold crash @ 4degC for 2 weeks. Just pulled this out to keg it today...behold the gloriousness! This one will be the benchmark now (and maybe for a while). FG - 1.028, ABV 9.24%. Tons of stone fruit and raisin, tons of biscuit and sweetness.

Slainte Mhath!

Back