WLP023, getting no action

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncleboogie

Reaction score
So I brewed me a English Brown Ale Saturday and well over 24 hours getting no action in the fermentor. I did not make a starter, pitched at about 72 degrees, and I have it in a controlled fermentation chamber. Checked it this morning and no avail. I kept the empty vial and noticed the "Best Before Date" was 8-7-14......bad yeast????? Any way of saving it or other options???

You can add more yeast...it's probably taking a huge amount of time because they need to grow their numbers enough for the job ahead with such a low cell count pitched. Now whether it's a good beer in the end is another thing...

OG was 1.052....didn't do any kind of specific aeration, just pitched and stirred real good. How long could it sit before adding more yeast? Or should I just kick back and see what it does?

Early on, second batch, this exact scenario happened to me. Expired yeast, no starter, and probably not enough oxygenation of the wort. Airlock did not begin until the third day. The yeast was so stressed the final taste, although not poison, was not very good. I absolutely learned may lessons about yeast viability, proper amount of yeast to pitch, proper oxygenation, and starters. The next lesson was fermentation temperature control. Good luck with your's.

Early on, second batch, this exact scenario happened to me. Expired yeast, no starter, and probably not enough oxygenation of the wort. Airlock did not begin until the third day. The yeast was so stressed the final taste, although not poison, was not very good. I absolutely learned many lessons about yeast viability, proper amount of yeast to pitch, proper oxygenation, and starters. The next lesson was fermentation temperature control. Good luck with your's.

Well got some action going on this morning, maybe I jumped the gun too soon. Worried me with using expired yeast. I guess I'll let time take it's toll and see how it tastes in the end.

Best before 8/7/14 means the packaging date was 4/7/14. Yeastcalc.co calculator shows viability at 0% and yeast cells at 0. So while you are getting some activity, I would not expect it to fully ferment.

So do you think this batch is toast???

It can hopefully be saved, get some fresh yeast and pitch it and see what happens.

Where did you get that old vial? Did you have it around or did a shop sell it to you recently? If they sold it to you after it's best by date, then I would complain and see if you can get a fresh vial for free.

Yep, got it at the local HBS....bought it the day of.....still have the vial and receipt....there pretty good about stuff so will give it a shot! Thanks everyone for your help, will keep y'all posted in the out come.

Latest posts

Back