WLP013 London Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Chad

Reaction score
This is a crazy question I know. I brewed an east coast IPA. OG at 1.070 - FG at 1.021 after 7 days. Cold crashed at 40 degrees for 2 days. Gelatin fined yesterday also at 40 degrees. Today took a look to see clarity and the air lock is bubbling away like it's started fermentation again, and there is a very light foam on the top like a beer head that has fallen all the way down. Anyway any ideas here? I was under the impression fermentation should have stopped. Why the airlock activity? It's significant too.

This isn't something yeast specific, nearly any yeast needs more time than 7 days. This isn't surprising at all. It could easily go down to 1.016 or so depending on mash temps etc. :mug: Cheers

Mash temp was at 148 degrees. I just thought the ale yeast couldn't work their magic at such low temperatures.

They can work their magic at low temps albeit much slower. With that said 148 mash temp I would expect the FG to go lower. Usually you would wait until fermentation is complete, ie stabilizes at a gravity for about 3 days then cold crash. I suspect it was still slowly eating the sugars when you cooled it off.

No harm nor foul just wait for the gravity to stabilize then cold crash, this could take up to a week or 2.

Latest posts

Back