WLP009 Australian Ale Yeast. Anyone tried it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnglishAndy

Reaction score
I'm planning a pale ale with Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin hops and for the whole Aussie experience I was thinking of trying the WLP009 Australian yeast. Has anyone tried it and is it any good? I'm not looking to make a hop or malt bomb with this one. I'd like the result to be nicely balanced between malt and hops with any contribution from the yeast being secondary to the hop and malt flavours.

It's got a good reputation, I'm aware of some breweries using it as a house yeast, I managed to screw up the only time I tried it but plan to use it again.

I've brewed with it 5 or 6 times over the years (mostly for Aussie Sparkling variations) and it makes nicely balanced beers. It behaves similarly to English yeasts and the flavor profile can vary from clean and bready to more malty and fruity at higher temps. It can produce some isoamyl acetate like esters when fermented in the low 70's. I also enjoyed this yeast when used in a hop forward American wheat.

For your uses, I'd ferment it a bit cooler, (64-65F) lest you cover up those lovely Galaxy-Nelson flavors.

A friend and I split a big batch of IPA between the Aussie, WLP004, and S-04 last year. The Aussie was the hands down winner. Remarkably balanced and crisper than the other two. We meant to do the recipe again this year, but the summer got away from us. It's got a definite slot for next year though.

I did a split-batch with WLP009 and WY1469 2.5 months ago. It was meant to be a straightforward English bitter; bittered with Northdown and flavoured with Northdown and EKG but attenuation beyond the claimed range meant that both fermentations delivered a 4.9% ESB strength ale.

Both batches have had plenty of time to settle, and the results are in!

The 1469 yeast was about a month old when it arrived and post-fermentation cleared perfectly in the bottle. The flavour notes were crisp, bright, fruity, spicy and very reminiscent of Sam Smiths beers. Being the Yorkshire tightwad that I am (I used to live in the next village to the Sam Smiths brewery) I drink a fair bit of Sam Smiths in central London and I definitely picked up that Sam Smiths character in the beer. It tasted like the Brewery Bitter.

The 009 was about 6 months old when I received it; at the long end of the best-before date and during a very hot summer. It maintained a haze in the bottle even after 2.5 months. You'd think this would be a bad thing; but it wasn't. The beer tasted smooth, slightly sulphurous, rich and characterful on the palette. If someone told you it was was London Pride then you'd have no reason to doubt it. It tasted like an old London bitter.

Conclusion? If 009 comes out on a vault release then I'll be in the queue to get it. Even with the haze issues it had a cask-like character that I long for in a bitter.

Over 100 orders until vault release. This could take a while....

It seems to be a fairly regular seasonal release (last year it was July/August), White Labs normally release their schedule for seasonal releases in the first week of January so it's worth watching www.whitelabs.com/news

Still at 129 orders to go. Should i just try to get some coopers dry yeast?

I wasn't that impressed when I got to try WLP009. I split a batch of ESB with it and WY1469 and was more impressed with the richer flavours that came through from the 1469.

Still at 129 orders to go. Should i just try to get some coopers dry yeast?

A commentator on Suregork's site tried to explain what Aussies understand the relationships to be - short answer is that there's no one "Cooper's" yeast, so no the Cooper's dry is not the same as WLP009. I think.

I wasn't that impressed when I got to try WLP009. I split a batch of ESB with it and WY1469 and was more impressed with the richer flavours that came through from the 1469.
If you wanter richer flavors i guess that makes sense. Im looking at it for a IPA with a different twist vs the standards of cali, san diego super, 002 or 007. Clean and neutral, with a touch of ester from lower temps.

I guess theres not really an answer then, other than to wait for this release. Or find some pro brewers that may have and share as its always available for commercial pitch sizes.

Latest posts

Back