WPL644 Trois in a Belgian Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protos

Die Schwarzbier Polizei
Reaction score
Gentlemen, does anyone have any experience of brewing a Belgian Wit with WLP644 Trois?

I've used that yeast a year or more ago and have some frozen slurry since. The beers I brewed with it were (as unanimously suggested in the WLP644 threads) massively hopped with new-wave hops: one with Nelson Sauvin and another with Mosaic. As a fellow brewer smartly summarized, the point of using fruity hops with WLP644 was to blur the border between "where the fruity yeast esters end and where the fruity hop aromas start". Well, I think I hit the aim, the beers came out massively aromatic and I really couldn't tell where the said border laid. As a result, I have no idea of WLP644's own flavour profile and if it's any good for using in low-hopped beers.

Now that I need to revive and renew my frozen slurry, I decided to make a nice lightly-hopped Wit with it (I don't want to brew any more new-wave beers with it, I'm more into classic noble hops). The only thing that confuses me a bit is what flavour it will impart to a lightly-hopped Wit, wouldn't it be strange or foreign to the Wit style?

Another option I'm thinking of is brewing a Centennial Blonde with it (actually, a Cascade Blonde as I don't have any Centennial hops), but the question stays the same: is WLP644 any good in light, low-bitterness beers?

I suspect your witbier isn't going to taste very much like a typical witbier. You're likely to get a pronounced pineapple-like aroma/flavor, which isn't typical in wits. And, WLP644 is a diastatic strain, likely to dry the beer out beyond what a typical wit strain would.

That said, I'll bet it will be tasty.

Thanks, VikeMan. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid, to stray too far from the style.
Then, it's the Cascade Blonde to brew with WLP644. Pineapple would fit the style nicely, as good as Peach (from US-05) does.

I've found some reports from people who'd used Trois in low-gravity low-hopped beers and who liked their results. Some of them suggest underpitching for increading esters and not oxigenating to avoid tartness. I'll follow their suggestions plus I'll add some yeast nutrient and ferment warm.

Back