WLP001 Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakeErieMonster

Reaction score
I'm sure (wishful thinking) that this is nothing to worry about and I should just have a home brew, but I am at work and they frown upon that here.

I went downstairs after day 2 of my fermentation of a 1.077 OG beer with a 2 starter of WLP001. Temperature is a constant 64F and the tube of yeast 'use by' date was July 21 of this year.

I have never seem a fermentation like this. The krausen is completely flat across the top and it seems it expands downward. Maybe this is just me catching the fermentation at a stage I haven't seen it at before.

Like i said, if I could have a home brew at work I wouldn't even sweat it.

1401276573627.jpg

It doesn't look completely flat to me, but it looks fine.

Just a hint here, don't put carboys directly on concrete. Have at least a towel, piece of carpet, or a rag underneath. Also if lights stay on for long times, cover the carboy to prevent potential skunking.

OK cool. It just looked much different than I have personally ever seen. And there is a rubber mat under there, not that you can tell by the picture. And it is definitely covered from light.

I've had US-05 (comparable to WLP001) look like that when I have repitched slurry. Those beers came out great. So, like the others have said, your beer looks fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back