WLP001 and Wyeast 1056 - differences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyToper

Reaction score
I know these are both popular and high quality yeasts.

I use 1056 generally because that is what my LHBS carries. I just rebrewed a batch I usually do with 1056 with WLP001 and the fermentation looks totally different. The krausen and blowoff was much more tame. It fermented steady for about double as long as 1056 does. Lastly, on day 16 in the fermentor it still has quite a bit of foam. 1056 drops clear for me easily by 10 days.

Given all the potential variables that can affect fermentation and the fact that I've only used it once I'm in no position to draw conclusions (not to mention the fact that I haven't tasted it yet).

I'm curious if others have noticed different fermentation behavior in the two and if the results differ much even though they came from the same initial strain. Thanks!
JT

Did you make a starter? Did you account for the freshness of the vial? Unless the pitching rates, recipe, temps, were all the same you could expect to see a different outcome from the same yeast.

I use wlp001 and us-05 quite a bit. In the long distant past I used 1056. I think they are all about the same.

PS: I just kegged up the Janet's Brown. The gravity sample tasted fantastic! Can't wait to get it carbed up and put it on tap.

I used Mrmalty.com to make a starter based on age, OG, etc. Fermentation temp is always tightly controlled as well. Grain bill was the same. My process is not highly automated though and I have a few beers while I brew so there could have been some variation.

Both batches smelled great in the fermentor so I think I'm going to like them both even if they are a little different. We'll see.

I'm brewing Janet's Brown as I type. I can't wait to try it!

Back