WLP 530 vs 3787 Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsean

Reaction score
Hello;

I am currently fermenting with WLP 530, but I'm confused about the correct temperature to ferment at.

Looking at White Labs the ideal temp is 66-72f
Looking at Wyeast the ideal temp is 64-78f

I was under the impression that these yeasts are the same.

The reason I ask is that I was having difficulties fermenting at 71f, in fact the yeast dropped out of suspension leaving the beet at 1.054... I have since warmed it up to mid 70's, and it is fermenting along. I think this is alright, since Wyeast says the ideal temp is up to 78f, so fermenting at this temp should be fine, correct?

Thank You;
Sean

Yes, you'll be fine. The beer will have a little more fruitiness to it at higher temps. It shouldn't taste hot and fuselly, but if it does, it will age out eventually.

No experience with the White Labs strain, but lots with Wyeast 3787. Cooler temperatures will make it chug along very slowly and result in a cleaner beer with less esters and phenols, warmer temperatures will cause more of those to shine. Quite a chameleon of a yeast. It benefits from a temperature rise near the end of fermentation to reach FG, or be prepared for bottle bombs from it slowly fermenting after bottling. I've had it do well 64-66, as well as at 70-75, but it always seems to want a late rise in temps to finish.

It benefits from a temperature rise near the end of fermentation to reach FG, or be prepared for bottle bombs from it slowly fermenting after bottling. I've had it do well 64-66, as well as at 70-75, but it always seems to want a late rise in temps to finish.

I find the same thing with this yeast. It can really take a long time to get the last few points of attenuation. Keep it warm and give it plenty of time to finish.

For next time, I'd look into the source of your problem. I don't think it's the fermentation temp. Maybe you underpitched or otherwise created an uphill battle for the yeast. What was your OG and how much what % sugar by extract is your recipe?

FWIW, I've used WLP530 twice, first beer went from 1.050 to 1.008 in 7 days from 64-66F and the second from 1.080 to 1.010 in 7 days starting at 64f, held at 68f, and then finished at 72. I suspect the latter will drop another point or two, it's still in primary. I'm not sure why 530 has a reputation for being slow to finish, I've probably just been lucky so far.

It is a Belgian Tripel, so fruity is perfectly acceptable to me.

The OG was 1.085, I am thinking it was likely an aeration issue. I was just quite shocked to see it drop out of suspension. Before warming it, the beer wasn't evenly overly cloudy when taking the sample, and had no bubble formation on the top.

My question was mostly looking to determine why there is such a difference in ideal temperature between the 2 yeasts, when they are apparently identical.

I am glad to hear people have had success fermenting WLP 530 warm though!

Sean

The OG was 1.085, I am thinking it was likely an aeration issue. I was just quite shocked to see it drop out of suspension. Before warming it, the beer wasn't evenly overly cloudy when taking the sample, and had no bubble formation on the top.

My question was mostly looking to determine why there is such a difference in ideal temperature between the 2 yeasts, when they are apparently identical.

Sean

They may have similar roots but I doubt the two companies treat their yeast exactly the same and the strains may perform differently during their testing. Ideal temperature does not necessarily equate to making ideal beer. You can get very different results between the low and high so best to decide the outcome you want and work the yeast around that temperature.

In BLAM, Stan points out that Belgian beers may take longer to get the last 10% of fermentation than they do for the first 90%. Be patient.

In BLAM, Stan points out that Belgian beers may take longer to get the last 10% of fermentation than they do for the first 90%. Be patient.

If it was just the last 10% I wouldn't have been worried, when it only fermented 40% before stalling I started to worry. It is fermenting away nicely in the mid 70's now.

Sean

This is really interesting to me, I'm not trying to be critical. I just fermented a beer that started at 1.080 and was at 1.010, yesterday - one week from pitching. I think I said in another post, started in mid 60s and never got above 72 on the temp-strip on the carboy.

What size starter did you pitch and how much sugar was in our recipe? It's probably something else, maybe you just got angry yeast.:drunk:

This is really interesting to me, I'm not trying to be critical. I just fermented a beer that started at 1.080 and was at 1.010, yesterday - one week from pitching. I think I said in another post, started in mid 60s and never got above 72 on the temp-strip on the carboy.

What size starter did you pitch and how much sugar was in our recipe? It's probably something else, maybe you just got angry yeast.:drunk:

1.5L starter, 15% sugar.

The other factor was the yeast was in the fridge for over a year, so it might have also been some grumpy yeast. It did seem to start up quickly in the starter.

1.5L starter, 15% sugar.

The other factor was the yeast was in the fridge for over a year, so it might have also been some grumpy yeast. It did seem to start up quickly in the starter.

I'd blame the fridge time, I guess.

It is a little fuselly, but not too bad. It will take some serious time to mellow out, but is nearing completion of fermentation now. It will get a nice long chance to sit in the primary, and even longer to condition in the bottle, so it should end up being a great brew.

Sean

Well, they aren't exactly identical, although they came from the same source. I've noticed that White Labs is a bit more conservative with its recommended temperature ranges than Wyeast for yeasts from the same source.

Back