WLP 530 attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
Anyone have experience brewing a Belgian dubbel with the wlp 530 abbey ale? My og is going to be around 1.07 and I'm trying to figure out an estimated final gravity.

I recently brewed a triple with 10.15 lbs of 2 row and .25 lbs of Aromatic mashed at 149 for an hour and half with 3 lbs of sugar added a few days into primary that fermented from about 1.076 down to 1.006.

depends on your mash temp and recipe. without knowing that, probably 78-90% attenuation

Mash at 150
11 gallons
24 lbs pils
0.5 each of biscuit, aromatic, special b
.25 pale chocolate
2 lb clear candi sugar
1 lb amber candi sugar

Depending on if you push the yeast real hard with temp or not, you will probably get between 1.006 and 1.009 I figure. It is a great yeast. You finish a little higher than that though and it is all well and good, I like my Belgians to end around 1.010 and up to the low teens.

I've got a 1.060 Dubbel going with this yeast right now - temps climbed to 78F before I had a chance to get it under control. Happily fermenting at 72F now - I'll let u know what kind of attenuation I get in a week or so.

I have a Dubbel thats 19-days into fermentation and 75% apparent attenuation. I mashed at 149F and have had better attenuation in the past with 530. I am hoping some rousing will get it down a few more points.

Anyone have experience brewing a Belgian dubbel with the wlp 530 abbey ale? My og is going to be around 1.07 and I'm trying to figure out an estimated final gravity.

WLP530 is a frigging workhorse. It ferments fast and can achieve 11-12% abv levels with no problems.

I do consecutive batches with the same yeast.

Big starter 3L

1). Belgian Triple
2). Belgian Golden
3). Belgian Wheat
4). Belgian/French Farmhouse Ale

By the time I do the Farmhouse Ale, the yeast are so wasted they kick off these fantastic flavors. A cross between a sour and open fermented ale.

Brew on!

-Shark

One additional comment

....I start me yeast on the cool side. 64F and let it drift up to around 70.

If I start the fermentation too close to 70F it tends to kick off a lot of excessively fruity esters. OK for a Golden Ale but maybe not so great for a Dub

did you end up mashing at 150F ? I'm brewing a Belgian IPA tmrw and I want it to finish around 1.010, so I'm thinking about mashing at 152 to be on the safe side.

You're a little late to the discussion (from 2011), but if your concerned about the beer being thin, you are better off correcting with a little carapils, wheat malt or flaked barley than trying to prevent 530 from attenuating with mash temp. It's a very hard worker and at ABV below 10% or so, it's probably going to eat a lot of maltotriose.

You're a little late to the discussion (from 2011), but if your concerned about the beer being thin, you are better off correcting with a little carapils, wheat malt or flaked barley than trying to prevent 530 from attenuating with mash temp. It's a very hard worker and at ABV below 10% or so, it's probably going to eat a lot of maltotriose.

Ya.. I know I was late, just wanted to see if he'd respond.

I disagree, I think mashing a little higher, keep ferm temps a little on the low side and pitching proper amount of yeast we'll keep me in the 1.009-10 range with some residual body without the need for adjuncts.

Back