Witness my creation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valicious

Reaction score
If you think this is a lot of strawberries....this is only one of two bags
IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

It'd be awesome if this came out a deep blood red
IMG_0251.jpg

14 lbs. Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
1 lbs. Crisp Chocolate Malt
12 oz. Roasted Barley
9 oz. Crisp Black Malt
7 oz. Briess 2 Row Caramel 120
22 oz. Oats, Flaked
1 lbs. Lactose
SAFALE-04

.5 oz. Nugget boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Mt. Hood boiled 30 min.
.5 oz. Mt. Hood boiled 2 min.
8oz. unsweetened Ghirardelli cocoa powder
12 lbs. frozen strawberries....

It spent one week in the primary
planning on 3 weeks in the secondary
and 3 weeks under CO2 in my corny

My Strawberry Chocolate Stout of The Ages!

Good gravy, man, that's a LOT of strawberries and chocolate!!

Did the strawberries n cocoa go into the primary? What's it smell like? You MUST report back with tasting results.

I'm looking for something over-the-top to take to a family reunion in September, this might just be the thing! Wow!

What are the OG numbers on this bad boy? What do you think the strawberries will do as far as adding fermentables?

So I wonder if that would be dangerous to someone allergic to strawberries....

Since the allergy is stemmed from the seed and if this was mega filtered...it really wouldn't have seeds, right?

Looks like they came in a bag like they were frozen and purchased from a store... they probably came fairly sanitary. I would have just pitched them myself; or, I might had spritzed them with some starsan.

I am looking to make a raspberry chocolate stout in the next few months to have ready for later in the year. If this turns out well, I may use this recipe and just substitute fruits.

The pictures are a thing of beauty.

Good gravy, man, that's a LOT of strawberries and chocolate!!

Did the strawberries n cocoa go into the primary? What's it smell like? You MUST report back with tasting results.

I'm looking for something over-the-top to take to a family reunion in September, this might just be the thing! Wow!

What are the OG numbers on this bad boy? What do you think the strawberries will do as far as adding fermentables?

I forgot to take an OG reading... :( I'm really forgetful with that part

I added the chocolate at the end of the boil, and the strawberries when I just transferred it to the secondary. (racked on top of them)

14 lbs. Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
1 lbs. Crisp Chocolate Malt
12 oz. Roasted Barley
9 oz. Crisp Black Malt
7 oz. Briess 2 Row Caramel 120
22 oz. Oats, Flaked
1 lbs. Lactose
SAFALE-04

.5 oz. Nugget boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Mt. Hood boiled 30 min.
.5 oz. Mt. Hood boiled 2 min.
8oz. unsweetened Ghirardelli cocoa powder
12 lbs. frozen strawberries....

Is that a 5 or 10 gallon formula, or a 6.5 gallon carboy for secondary? I just can't imagine fitting all that into a 5 gallon formula and still having room in a 5 gallon secondary.

this looks pretty damn good. If it turns out well post it in the recipes if you havent already. Nice lookin pic :)

I'm just gunna let you know.. that is going to be uber-bitter. Better age that **** for a good 3 months before drinking.

Looks awesome.

I really, really want to try that. Anyone wanna try to formulate an extract recipe? Would be much appreciated.

Can you do a minimash? If you keep the oats in, you will have to do that since oats have to be mashed. Keep about 2lbs of pale 2 row malt and mini mash with the other grains at 150F for 60 min. Replace the rest of the fermentables with whatever kind of light malt extract you like using.

No matter what, it will have to be extract+ steeping grains. Replace the 14lbs of 2 row with enough extract to get the same gravity (~10.5 lbs pale liquid extract or ~8lbs dry pale extract). Crush and steep the rest of the grains (minus the oats) as you would normally do.

I'm just gunna let you know.. that is going to be uber-bitter. Better age that **** for a good 3 months before drinking.

True, it is unsweetened cocoa, but all the natural sugars from the strawberries are going to sweeten it a lot. There will be more strawberry flavor the longer you leave them in, but I probably won't leave them in the full two weeks because I want some sweetness left. (and not fermented out)

NEW PICTURES from a couple days after we put it in the secondary:
IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

I'll probably actually keg this in a few days.

but all the natural sugars from the strawberries are going to sweeten it a lot

Dude naw, strawberry skins = make more sour/bitter. You're going to have to age that out. I'd bottle it and leave it alone for 6-12 months. That or rack to secondary and leave in there for a while (I'd definitely suggest a secondary to help the reminiscence of strawberry sink to the bottom). If you add lactose, it should help it out a little bit, but still going to need to age that pretty hxc.

Unless you kill the yeast all the natural sugars in the strawberries will ferment out, leaving you with an tart strawberry flavor. I imagine even with the lactose, with 12 pounds of strawberries in there i imagine its going to be extremely tart for a couple months. It will probably be incredible once that ages out though.

Dude naw, strawberry skins = make more sour/bitter. You're going to have to age that out. I'd bottle it and leave it alone for 6-12 months. That or rack to secondary and leave in there for a while (I'd definitely suggest a secondary to help the reminiscence of strawberry sink to the bottom). If you add lactose, it should help it out a little bit, but still going to need to age that pretty hxc.

Dude, that is the secondary. I put the cocoa in when I brewed it, but waited til I racked it to a carboy to add the strawberries.
I'll be kegging this bad boy (like I do with all my brews), but I'm definitely gonna let ths one age for several months.
I'll be sure to do a brew swap with you David.:mug:

Dude, that is the secondary. I put the cocoa in when I brewed it, but waited til I racked it to a carboy to add the strawberries.
I'll be kegging this bad boy (like I do with all my brews), but I'm definitely gonna let ths one age for several months.
I'll be sure to do a brew swap with you David.:mug:

My blueberry oatmeal stout is going to need to age out like a mofo and I used 1.5lbs of crushed blueberries (juice only) per gallon and I know it'll take quite some time for that to age out. I'm going to give it 8 months, as that is how long it took my blueberry wine to get to where I like it. The down-side is that they are occupying bottles I can't use now :<

My blueberry oatmeal stout is going to need to age out like a mofo and I used 1.5lbs of crushed blueberries (juice only) per gallon and I know it'll take quite some time for that to age out. I'm going to give it 8 months, as that is how long it took my blueberry wine to get to where I like it. The down-side is that they are occupying bottles I can't use now :<

The great thing about aging in kegs is that you can just take a little sample to see how it's coming along, no need to waste an entire bottle. My Russian Imperial Milk Stout is gonna have to age like over a year. BeerSmith says it'll end up like 16.8%

Oh btw, you want a heatstick David? We can make one for ya.

The great thing about aging in kegs is that you can just take a little sample to see how it's coming along, no need to waste an entire bottle. My Russian Imperial Milk Stout is gonna have to age like over a year. BeerSmith says it'll end up like 16.8%

Oh btw, you want a heatstick David? We can make one for ya.

Nah, I'll be good.

Back