Witbier secondary fermentarion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314alias

Reaction score
How long should I let my witbier secondary ferment. It has been fermenting for about 3 weeks and the bubbles in the airlock have almost slowed to a stop... Is there a time between bubbles I should shoot for or take a gravity reading?

Also it started out a more golden color but has come to almost a dark brown/burgundy? Is this normal?

I am new so you don't neccesarily want to take my advice..I just read and research alot and this is just what I am going to do...everyone says "3 weeks"...but that is just a average I suppose. I would wait for the bubbles to stop...wait about 5 days...then take a reading...the next day take a reading...if the two are the same then go to Secondary....

Well it has been in secondary for about 3 weeks and I am wondering when to bottle it.? I dont want my bottles to explode yah know.

Never use the airlock as a fermentation gauge. It's just a one way pressure release valve. I use the hydrometer starting at 2 weeks to see where it's at gravity wise. Then 3 days or so later,take another reading. If it's the same,give it 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more.
You don't want wheat beers sitting any longer than they have too. Then bottle it,& check it out at 2 weeks. Wheat beers are one of the fastest to finish,& should be drunk young.

I just made a Witbier. 3 weeks in the primary at 68 degrees and it was very well carbed after two weeks in the bottle at 75+ degrees. No need to secondary. Witbiers are supposed to be cloudy, and it will already be plenty clear from 3 weeks primary.

As others have said, use your hydrometer, not your airlock to gauge completion. It is probably plenty done. Airlock activity is probably just from temperature changes or something.

Witbiers dont need secondary, they are best when they are young.

Take a hydro reading, (consistent for 3 days) then bottle.

Give it a week or more to carb up, enjoy.

Agree with Snotpoodle. Wits can be really fast. I'm only on my third one, but my second one was done fermenting after 8 days. Kegged it, drank it a week later and it came out awesome.

Back