wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon

Reaction score
Who's got a great Wit recipe you'd be willing to share?

Maybe one that would have some tolerance for adding a little rue to?

Many thanks!

50/50 wheat malt and pilsner maybe about 12# total. About an ounce of low alpha hops like saaz. Then a good yeast like 3944. And are you going to add some street to the beer? Or do you mean roux like 50/50 butter and flour? The beer would be plenty cloudy without the addition of flour and butter. Plus I'd expect the butter to hinder head retention.

Ah... Don't know that's it's very traditional. But if you're doing 5 gallons I wouldn't do more than half a pound. That style is really about the yeast and the malt flavor. It'd be worth a try. You could call it a "Rye Wit" and see if anyone gets the double entendre.

It be more like saison with the rye in there the 3724 is a good saison strain but those usually need to ferment warmer. Both benefit from a little warmer ambient temp really.

a traditional Belgian Wit is made from a base of around 50% pale malt, and 50% unmalted wheat ie flaked wheat. Often 5-10% rolled or flaked oats are added to enhance body and flavor.

a traditional Belgian Wit is made from a base of around 50% pale malt, and 50% unmalted wheat ie flaked wheat. Often 5-10% rolled or flaked oats are added to enhance body and flavor.

The benefit to using the flaked wheat is it's starches are pre gelatinized. Unmalted wheat and flaked are the same other than that. Nobody is going to complain if you used wheat malt though.

If the OP still would like a Belgian Wit recipe shared here is one of mine - but no rye ;)

5 gallon recipe (6.5 gallon preboil)
4.25lbs Belgian Pilsner malt
4.25lb Flaked Wheat
0.75lb Flaked Oats
1oz Hallertauer 3.8% AA hops (60 minute boil) - personally I find above 4% lends a slight bitter taste that needs time to mellow, so I wouldn't go past 4%
1oz Crushed Coriander (boil last 5 minutes)
1oz Sweet Orange Peel (boil last 5 minutes) - you can use bitter orange peel just the same, I just prefer sweet
Wyeast 3944 for a Hoegaarden taste, which I love and have used many times but I personally feel Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit lends a more complex and interesting taste
No starter either way.

Protein rest at 122 for 20 minutes
Mash at 154 for 60 minutes

Ferment at 68F

Rev.

Back