Wit Beer and Multi Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcatbrewer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my second all grain beer and my first wit! My understanding is that for a Wit I will need to do a Multi rest Infusion? Is this correct? Also with a multi rest it seems like like I'm going to have quite a bit of water before I sparge so when that happens how much water do I need to sparge with?

Thanks for all of your help, also below are the base grains I'm using.

Thanks Again,

Belgian Pils 4.5lbs
White Wheat 3.5lbs
Flaked Wheat 1lb
Honey Malt .1lb

A protein rest isn't super necessary but if you want to do that here's how I'd break it down:

You probably want about 6.5g of wort ready before you boil. With 9lb of grain, the grain will absorb ~1lb of water, so you want 7.5g of water added total. You'd probably want 2.5g for the protein rest, the remaining for sparge.

You don't have to do multiple steps, but it does seem to make a wort that runs a little easier. Just mash in at a low ratio - eg 0.75-1 quart/lb. Add enough boiling water to hit your steps and don't worry about the sparge yet.

Meanwhile, heat up more sparge then you will ever need - at least a gallon more than the calculators say (and remember, you'll want a 90 minute boil with that much pilsner, so plan accordingly). Once you get your first running, measure them. eg you get 3 gallons. Including boil off, you might need 7.5 gallon total to start. That means you add 4.5 gallons to sparge.

Either way, buy some rice hulls. They will make sparging a whole lot easier with that much wheat.

Didn't realize I didn't have to do multi step. Someone had told me that doing this type of beer with oats that it was a good idea.

So your saying if I do a protein rest that I only need 2.5 Gal of water? When using brewersfriend mash schedule calc it told me I would need 12 qts plus another 14 for a 3 step mash. Then 4+ gal of sparge on top of that?

Seems like way to much, please advise on this I'm pretty confused.

I assume you're doing a 5g batch? The total amount of water you'll need is about 7.5g, you can break that up however you want as long as you add 7.5g of water total.

What do you do with all the water you need to reach your temps for the multi step mash? Then the sparge?

It really isn't that much water. When you start at a low ratio, it only takes a gallon or so to get from protein rest levels to mash temps. You need to start at a low ratio though - under 1. If you start at 1.25+, then it takes more water to raise to the same temp and you start getting in trouble.

If you are using a 5 gallon cooler, things obviously max out a lot faster than if you are using a 10 gallon+.

Back