Wish me luck!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoS14

Reaction score
I took about 6 months off after being disappointed in my first three batches ever. I think I started with recipes which were too advanced and had some poor brewing techniques. My first three consisted of an Alt kit from the local shop and two Belgian Ales from online recipes. The Alt was so so, the Belgians were both high gravity and one required a secondary fermentation. The flavor was pretty good but attenuation is not great and they are both too sweet and not carbonated enough (bottle conditioned). I believe that fermentation temperature and pitching temp were two of my biggest errors on the first two batches. I purchased a immersion chiller for this latest batch and am shocked at how effective it was. I also set the air in the house for a constant 68* and put the fermenter in the powder room to help maintain temp. The recipe called for an OG 1.052 and I was right at 1.053, the final was supposed to be 1.015 and I hit 1.013. Bottling sugar was calculated based on 2.5 vols of CO2 and the temp of the batch. Taste was great out of the fermenter, so wish me luck in two weeks when I pop the first cap and give her a try for real.

Any input for the next batch is appreciated.

I've learned that brewing beer is all about the basics. The best beers in the world aren't necessarily ones with the most complex ingredient lists, or additives such as spices and fruits and getting their additions down to the correct minute and gram, or complex mash schedules (although some are). I've noticed the most clean, flavorful, enjoyable beers are ones where the basics are the priority. Obviously sanitation, but other things such as controlling your fermentation temp, using the correct pitching rate and temperature, and using quality fresh ingredients takes care of 90% of your journey to amazing beer.

Back