Wisconsin homebrew fermentation in winter / Brewer's Best Belgian Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcypert09

Reaction score
Hello All - I have been reading Homebrew Talk forums for a while now and definitely rely on everybody's awesome input and knowledge. I know there are blogs on temperature and the effect on fermentation but I want to see if I can get some input from somebody in the same geographic location. I live in Oshkosh, WI and allow the beer to ferment in my basement. I am on my seventh batch and now that it's getting cold out I noticed my basement of my 2001 house dipping down to under 60 degrees. I am worried of sluggish or extended fermentation since I am getting under 60 degrees. Any advice on keeping a 10 x 10 foot unfinished room with cement walls in the mid 60s?

I started worrying after I did a batch of Brewer's Best Belgian Golden Ale. I transferred it to the secondary before fermentation was complete 1 week ago per the kit instructions. Conflicting to what the kit instructions said (transfer when fermentation is nearly complete), I read on here that the SG should read what is required for bottling and not before fermentation completes. It tasted good when I transferred it but has still been slowly bubbling for 2 weeks (1 week primary, 1 week secondary), and I am guessing because of the lower basement temp and type of yeast used for a Belgian type of beer. OG 1.073 (range is 1.071 - 1.075) SG when transferred to secondary 1.016 (FG range 1.011 - 1.015) Transferred to secondary on day 9 and I would take the gravity from the secondary before bottling Average basement temp has been 61 degrees I know I am going all over the place with questions about controlling temperature and then asking questions about the beer in process... But let me know what you think. Thank you in advance and happy brewing :)

I am in Des Moines. My basement is 62 F right now.

If doing an ale, I use heat wrap and a temperature controller. I will also do a couple of lagers this time of year.

I have only done one Belgian. I used heat wrap with temperature control and gradually ramped the heat up.

I figure why heat the whole room when I am just interested in the temperature in the carboy. That is why I use heat wrap.

ScottG58 said:
I am in Des Moines. My basement is 62 F right now.

If doing an ale, I use heat wrap and a temperature controller. I will also do a couple of lagers this time of year.

I have only done one Belgian. I used heat wrap with temperature control and gradually ramped the heat up.

I figure why heat the whole room when I am just interested in the temperature in the carboy. That is why I use heat wrap.

I completely agree. Here's a picture of some carboys in my basement with a stc 1000 temp controller and brew belt. Works great.

IMAG0583_zps2f12f66b.jpg

I live in Two Rivers and my Beer Cellar is currently at 57F. Instead of temp. control, I just use the appropriate yeast.
Check out the yeast strain guide at http://yeastcalc.com/
:mug:

I live just outside of chicago and my cellar is around 58/60 and i use a brew belt maintain my temps

Thank you everybody for the input! Very much appreciated. For everybody using a heating belt/band, are you monitoring the temp of the beer with the adhesive thermometer on the side of the carboy or using a different method? I am glad to see that my basement temp is about at what other homebrewer's basement temp is.

This is interesting, thank you for providing this. I am going to start reviewing after I brew a batch and see the correct temp for that particular yeast that came with the kit

WI_Wino said:
I completely agree. Here's a picture of some carboys in my basement with a stc 1000 temp controller and brew belt. Works great. [

Thank you for sending the picture. I think it is now time for me to invest in a temp belt after seeing how it works and it around the carboy

imherb said:
I live in Two Rivers and my Beer Cellar is currently at 57F. Instead of temp. control, I just use the appropriate yeast. Check out the yeast strain guide at http://yeastcalc.com/ :mug:

This is interesting, thank you for providing this. I am going to start reviewing after I brew a batch and see the correct temp for that particular yeast that came with the kit

I have a cooler and a $8 aquarium heater as my "set up". :D

I put the carboy/fermenter in the cooler, add water to the beer line, and then use the ultra cheap (small) aquarium heater to keep the temperature in the mid 60s. Two fermenters fit in the water bath.

Of course, it's pretty cold here even with my basement heated a bit. My basement is still pretty warm right now (high 50s) but it'll get in the mid 40s by January/February.

Yooper said:
I have a cooler and a $8 aquarium heater as my "set up". :D I put the carboy/fermenter in the cooler, add water to the beer line, and then use the ultra cheap (small) aquarium heater to keep the temperature in the mid 60s. Two fermenters fit in the water bath. Of course, it's pretty cold here even with my basement heated a bit. My basement is still pretty warm right now (high 50s) but it'll get in the mid 40s by January/February.

Interesting and creative! Thank you, Yooper! I read about folks using aquarium heaters and your set up info now makes sense to me.

Since you are getting into temperatures that low, do you only keep the primary carboys where the fermentation is happening in the bath? I know the fermentation activity happens in the primary, but I am wondering for conditioning the beer in the secondary carboy, do you let sit in temperatures that the air is the cool in your basement or keep those in the warm bath too? Assuming you are using a secondary that is.

Sorry for the split response, didn't have enough time last night.

I have a Belgian brew with O.G. 1.094 fermenting right now in my kitchen at an ambient of 66*-67* using Danstar Belle Saison. Pitched the yeast at 70* and put the carboy on a folded towel to insulate from the kitchen counter and wrapped the carboy with 3 bath towels. Over two days the fermenter temp. slowly rose to 81* and today (the 3rd day) fermentation has slowed and the temp has gone down to 75*. So it is possible to brew warm season beer in the winter without much complication.

Enjoy :mug:

Sorry again, I should have elaborated.

I plan on leaving the brew at an ambient of 66*-67* for 2 weeks and moving to the cellar (upper 50's) for a month. NO SECONDARY.

imherb said:
Sorry for the split response, didn't have enough time last night. I have a Belgian brew with O.G. 1.094 fermenting right now in my kitchen at an ambient of 66*-67* using Danstar Belle Saison. Pitched the yeast at 70* and put the carboy on a folded towel to insulate from the kitchen counter and wrapped the carboy with 3 bath towels. Over two days the fermenter temp. slowly rose to 81* and today (the 3rd day) fermentation has slowed and the temp has gone down to 75*. So it is possible to brew warm season beer in the winter without much complication. Enjoy :mug:

Cool! No problem and thank you! Also thanks for providing the insight on the yeast temp recommendations, I tried responding to say thanks but had some iphone complications I guess. I do have wrapped bath towels wrapped around both of my carboys (English Pale Ale in primary and Belgian in secondary). So you providing the temp data above showing a fairly significant temp increase makes me feel better

Hello All - I have been reading Homebrew Talk forums for a while now and definitely rely on everybody's awesome input and knowledge. I know there are blogs on temperature and the effect on fermentation but I want to see if I can get some input from somebody in the same geographic location. I live in Oshkosh, WI and allow the beer to ferment in my basement. I am on my seventh batch and now that it's getting cold out I noticed my basement of my 2001 house dipping down to under 60 degrees. I am worried of sluggish or extended fermentation since I am getting under 60 degrees. Any advice on keeping a 10 x 10 foot unfinished room with cement walls in the mid 60s?

I started worrying after I did a batch of Brewer's Best Belgian Golden Ale. I transferred it to the secondary before fermentation was complete 1 week ago per the kit instructions. Conflicting to what the kit instructions said (transfer when fermentation is nearly complete), I read on here that the SG should read what is required for bottling and not before fermentation completes. It tasted good when I transferred it but has still been slowly bubbling for 2 weeks (1 week primary, 1 week secondary), and I am guessing because of the lower basement temp and type of yeast used for a Belgian type of beer. OG 1.073 (range is 1.071 - 1.075) SG when transferred to secondary 1.016 (FG range 1.011 - 1.015) Transferred to secondary on day 9 and I would take the gravity from the secondary before bottling Average basement temp has been 61 degrees I know I am going all over the place with questions about controlling temperature and then asking questions about the beer in process... But let me know what you think. Thank you in advance and happy brewing :)

If I were you I would: Move the ales upstairs, ferment lagers downstairs. You may need swamp coolers and some ice, but not much as you are close to the correct temps. Also many ale yeasts will do just fine at the temps you have now, just slower.

Interesting and creative! Thank you, Yooper! I read about folks using aquarium heaters and your set up info now makes sense to me.

Since you are getting into temperatures that low, do you only keep the primary carboys where the fermentation is happening in the bath? I know the fermentation activity happens in the primary, but I am wondering for conditioning the beer in the secondary carboy, do you let sit in temperatures that the air is the cool in your basement or keep those in the warm bath too? Assuming you are using a secondary that is.

I don't use a secondary (clearing vessel) very often at all, only for oaking or something like that, except for my wines.

I ferment at about 65 degrees for most beers, then package at about day 14. I don't see a need to hold it any longer than that- if the beer is done, and clear, it's not going to get "doner".

I live in Grafton, WI. Not quite as far north as you, but within a few degrees F most days.

I've been starting my ale fermentations in a water bath on the floor of my basement. Last time I measured the water bath (sans fermenter) it was 58 degrees. I usually warm that up to 65-68 with some hot water before dropping the fermenter into it. The yeast activity manages to maintain the water bath at 65 degrees, until after about 3-5 days when things really slow down, and the water bath starts drifting back towards 58 degrees.

At which point, I bring the fermenter upstairs so the yeast can finish doing their thing.

One of these days I'll get a aquarium heater and build a regulator for it, or build a refrigerated/heated fermentation chamber, but until then this method has yielded brews which are more than clean enough.

Hey Yooper, does your cheapie aquarium heater have a temp control? Or do you use a regulator with it?

I'm another WI brewer with a cold winter basement and always looking for a new (better) way of maintaining low-to-mid-60s...

Another question from me as well...

For the Gents who are using a water bath and an aquarium heater, how much water do you put in the bath? Is the bath large enough to have water filled to where the beer line is on the carboy, maybe to the half way point of the carboy, etc? Obviously you don't want filled to the top of the neck of the carboy because of contamination risk but let me know your thoughts.

Or do you fill the bath where you find you are maintaining the desired temp of the beer in the carboy?

Hey Yooper, does your cheapie aquarium heater have a temp control? Or do you use a regulator with it?

I'm another WI brewer with a cold winter basement and always looking for a new (better) way of maintaining low-to-mid-60s...

No regulator- it's just set at "2" for me and I float a thermometer (one of those cheap floating thermometers from the homebrew store) in there. It should be done first without your beer in it, as some of those aquarium heaters can get HOT (for tropical fish) so once you know the setting you need you can use it.

Another question from me as well...

For the Gents who are using a water bath and an aquarium heater, how much water do you put in the bath? Is the bath large enough to have water filled to where the beer line is on the carboy, maybe to the half way point of the carboy, etc? Obviously you don't want filled to the top of the neck of the carboy because of contamination risk but let me know your thoughts.

Or do you fill the bath where you find you are maintaining the desired temp of the beer in the carboy?

I'm not a gent, but I fill up the water bath to the level of the beer. I use a cooler. The more water, the more stable the temperature is because it means that it takes a LONG time for 5 gallons of beer plus 5 gallons of water (or more) to change temperatures. It means it stays stable.

One tip- if you are using a "fermometer", one of those temperature strips to monitor the beer temperature, water will ruin them. Either have the fermometer up high on the carboy/bucket above the water bath level, or don't use one for this. Mine is up really high, near the top of the beer level, with the water bath just under it. I've ruined several of those themometers in a water bath, so this is one of those things I learned the hard way!

Mikethepoolguy said:
If I were you I would: Move the ales upstairs, ferment lagers downstairs. You may need swamp coolers and some ice, but not much as you are close to the correct temps. Also many ale yeasts will do just fine at the temps you have now, just slower.

Thank you for the input, sir. Much appreciated. I definitely didn't rule this option out yet. My only concern is the difference in temp during the day and at night. My thermostat is set up to cool down to 60 during the day when I am at work, go up to 67 before I get home, down to 62 at night when sleeping, and then turn on in the morning to 66. If it is cloudy, usually my house will fall to 60 during the day, but if it is sunny it can raise the morning temp of 66 to about 70 - 72 when the windows are open.

Thoughts on the unstableness of this temperature variation of my upstairs?

I can always adjust my thermostat to be more stable but then I just need to see the impact on the wallet then

Thoughts on the unstableness of this temperature variation of my upstairs?

I can always adjust my thermostat to be more stable but then I just need to see the impact on the wallet then

You can use a water bath upstairs as well, without a heater, just to help stabilize the temperature. The water bath would function as a heat sink, because it would take a lot longer for temperature changes to happen with the greater volume.

Yooper said:
You can use a water bath upstairs as well, without a heater, just to help stabilize the temperature. The water bath would function as a heat sink, because it would take a lot longer for temperature changes to happen with the greater volume.

I overlooked that one! Thank you, Yooper.

Next I need to convince the girlfriend who lives with me that a bath of water and having the carboys upstairs is a good idea...

Challenge accepted. Thanks again!

Here in the Twin Cities area I can chime in for what I do or perhaps the lack of doing anything.

I've fermented my ales in my laundry room on the first floor all summer and fall long, though one time I did have temps hit the 70s, being in a non air conditioned house has let me just.. brew ales and watch my temperatures in the ambient air. Now I'm set in to a hillside some so the temperatures are a bit more stable but not unlike a basement. I have a unheated back hallway/mudroom that I have a lager on primary and the same lager on it's secondary. Its running the mid 40's right now and seems to be working well.

What I suggest is doing what they used to do and alter your brewing if possible to what is seasonally brewed this time of the year. Ales don't seem to much like it when its below 60s, and lagers don't like going above that.
If you are like me and want to hone things in yet don't want to put out a lager that is not true to form I highly suggest a Dunkle or any of the darker lagers, you have a bit more flexibility and leeway as you learn what makes them tick!

Challenge accepted. Happy holidays and good luck with trying to move the carboys upstairs.

Latest posts

Back