Wirlfloc tab in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmay

Reaction score
Well I did my first lager but I forgot to add my wirlfloc tablet during the boil. Anyone think I could add it to the secondary during transfer. I would sterilize some H2O and dissolve the tablet then gradually mix during transfer without aerating to much.

Don't bother putting in the whirlfloc now. I believe that it needs to be in the boil to help coagulate the proteins. I would use gelatin or polyclar as was sugggested.
Gelatin in my experience works well in lagers at the cold temps and really makes a clear beer.
Polyclar works awesome in the ales that I have used it in that the gelating did not do a good job. I wanted a clear kolsch for that one.

Unless you're allergic to shellfish, I suggest using KC SuperKleer finings. None of the hassle of gelatin (i.e. boiling, cooling, problems with your beer turning into j-e-l-l-o) and it works great.

Back