Wiring a Still Dragon controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drksky

Reaction score
So I wanted something simple to just control a BK for now so I can get in out of the cold and have a question about wiring up the Still Dragon kit I just bought.

Or, more specifically, the receptacle that it plugs in to.

The instructions state to use 10/3 to wire the controller, but to get ground to it, wouldn't you need to use a 4-wire receptacle since the three wire ones are designed for two hots and a neutral (no grounding)? If using a 4-wire receptacle, do you just leave out the neutral?

Hmmmm....now looking at the wiring diagram more closely I see that only the ground and black attach to the SSR and the white just passes through. It states that it's 220, but shouldn't there be two hots attached to the SSR?

one hot wire goes from mains to your heating element another hot goes through SSR. Ground goes directly to an SSR base and to your kettle. Neutral is not needed.

one hot wire goes from mains to your heating element another hot goes through SSR. Ground goes directly to an SSR base and to your kettle. Neutral is not needed.

So if I wanted to use a grounded range cord to a receptacle from the breaker panel (with a GFCI breaker) I just don't even run the neutral to the receptacle from the panel?

This is for 240 only, there is no 120 at this time.

Yes you don't need a neutral at all if you need 240V only. Just two hots and a ground wire.
But I'd recommend to wire a neutral from panel to receptacle in case if you will need a 120V in a future.

So I wired this thing according to the diagram HERE, but when I energize the circuit, I'm measuring 240v at the output with the pot turned all the way down. Pretty sure that's not right.

You need to connect a load if you want to.measure a voltage. SSR is leaking some.very tiny amount of current wich transfers to a voltage if no load connected.

Back