Wireless burner-ignition ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I have a Bayou classic burner that requires an external flame source to light the burner. Sometimes if we catch a good wind, it will blow out the flame. Sometimes I'm in the middle of milling or weighing hops or taking measurements of gravity etc. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have a remote that restarts your pilot like a keychain car remote can start your car??!!

Any ideas on how to do this? Is there one out on market??

Thanks!

I have a Bayou classic burner that requires an external flame source to light the burner. Sometimes if we catch a good wind, it will blow out the flame. Sometimes I'm in the middle of milling or weighing hops or taking measurements of gravity etc. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have a remote that restarts your pilot like a keychain car remote can start your car??!!

Any ideas on how to do this? Is there one out on market??

Thanks!

Push button piezo igniter?

A common accessory to several BBQ grills. Lowes carries replacement parts for them even.

Go get a Westek Outdoor Wireless Remote Receiver Kit (RFK306LC). Hook up an AC/DC adaptor to it that is appropriately rated for a piezo igniter (making sure to bypass the igniter's push button). Turn on the controller with the little keychain thing that comes with it. Make sure to turn it off once you have reignition.

A really goofy way to get the job done.

Too cheap. The proper solution requires all the monies for half the performance value of the simplest solution.

Who said we were going cheap?

teak-windscreen.jpg

http://www.cuchi.co.nz/accessories/503-teak-windscreen.html

Might need two or three...

I'd run a long fuse line or a line of gunpowder from the work bench back to the burner. Then you'd just have to yell "fire in the hole" before lighting it.

Actually one of those TNT detonator boxes with the big two handed handle (like in the movies) hooked up to an ignitor would be even cooler. Not wireless though.

I have the same problem with the flame going out. I wonder if you could hook up a thermocoupler like from a hot water heater with an auto ignition or something.

Hell, I would like to just be able to relight without having to lift that damn heavy kettle off the burner....

So figure out how to rig a piezo to a remote switch, like a fireworks or model rocket ignition system.

Hmmmmmmm like the idea...

Wind screen.

Haz it... but I live in a damn valley where wind is a way of life...

There is no other way to 'inator.

Go big or go home

I'd run a long fuse line or a line of gunpowder from the work bench back to the burner. Then you'd just have to yell "fire in the hole" before lighting it.

Actually one of those TNT detonator boxes with the big two handed handle (like in the movies) hooked up to an ignitor would be even cooler. Not wireless though.

I have the same problem with the flame going out. I wonder if you could hook up a thermocoupler like from a hot water heater with an auto ignition or something.

See??? @nDub gets it

That is pretty cool! I would be worried about the flame from the burner though around the ignition wires. Wouldn't the heat from the burner melt the wires after ignition?

Back