What would cause this with my propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
It's a Bayou Classic. Has worked fine for years. These last two batches it has been going out. I thought it was the wind but today there wasn't a lot of wind and it get going out. It was weird because I had the gas on high, I could hear the gas flowing and when I lit it, it would ignite for a second then just go out. Sometimes it would lit for a bit but I could see all of the flames would not be lit. Just the ones in the middle. It constantly just kept going out (despite hearing the gas still flowing) so I ended up just finishing on the stove. I can't find any reason for this to happen or what could cause it. Any ideas?

Bayou Classic uses at least 4 different burner elements across their product set.
Which model do you have?

The one thing most of them have in common is an air shutter. If it's opened too far for the gas flow the flames can "lift off" the burner and even be blown-out depending how far the shutter is opened.

At the other end of possibilities is the Excess Flow Preventer valve inside the plastic ACME nut that couples the gas regulator to the cylinder valve. The EFP is there in case a hose breaches to prevent quickly dumping the contents of the cylinder, but it can be triggered inadvertently if the regulator control is opened before the cylinder valve is opened. That can reduce the gas flow to the point you can't keep the burner lit.

Ie: Always start with a closed cylinder valve and a closed regulator valve, then slowly open the cylinder valve a few turns before opening the regulator valve.

Cheers!

Is it rusty?

Yup. Very rusty.i figured that might be it but didn't think it would work at all if it was too rusty. It would burn for a few minutes, then turn off (but the gas would keep flowing). I had to sit there and relight every few minutes. I wasted a ton of gas from burning it on high bit only a few middle rows were lit. Is there a way to correct this or do
I need a new one?

It does sound like it just needs to be cleaned. Make sure there are no cobwebs in the wider areas.
Dumb question but how would you clean one of those without damaging the individual burners? Just a wire brush over the top of the whole thing?

If it is a two piece burner (3 piece actually .. cast iron inner, cast iron outer, bolt to connect), then just unscrew them and wire brush the hell out of them .. use a drill attachment brush. If it is way way rusted, you may not be able to undo the bolt. WD40 might work. I drilled one out once and replaced it with a bolt and washer.

Wire brush the outside. If it is one that comes apart, dis-assemble it to clean the inside. If it doesn't come apart, maybe a soak in CLR or something to loosen any buildup then pump water through it. A small wire poked into each hole??

Back