Winter Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splyn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am currently limited to a fermentation chamber that holds only a single carbouy/bucket. I have been trying to devise ways to ramp up my production this winter and use my cold garage (approx 35-50 F in winter) to provide the cooling for fermentaiton. To keep things simple, i was thinking of using a length of heating tape ( http://www.reptilebasics.com/12-heat-tape for lizards. when wrapped around a carbouy, it almost entirely covers the sides) around the carbouy/bucket, then covering with a blanket for insulation and using a temp controller to monitor tamps and turn on the heat when necessary.

Would this provide adequate temp control, or would the direct heat of the heat tape against the carbouy/bucket be a bad idea? Thoughts?

That is a standard way of heating a fermentation with a carboy. They sell is as "Fermwrap" at homebrew shops for exorbitant prices. I use two layers of Reflectix and velcro straps over the wrap. If you are on concrete it may be a good idea to place a layer underneath the carboy to protect it from the floor and becoming too cold. I find I can control about a 15-20 F degree temp rise from ambient with this method.

i use something similar in my ferm chamber, but i was wondering about how well it would work without a fermentation chamber and just sitting in a cold garage.

Depends on how cold it gets. I mis-stated above. With insulation I can keep the temp at about 30-35 F above ambient. Without it struggles to stay at 15-20 F above ambient in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

Exorbitant may be an over-exaggeration, but a 100% mark-up from what you can do with the materials on your own makes a difference.

i use something similar in my ferm chamber, but i was wondering about how well it would work without a fermentation chamber and just sitting in a cold garage.

Do you have cooler or other insulated item you can set your carboy in? If so set it in a cooler and put a blanket or sleeping bag over the top. Might want to monitor the temp at first so it doesn't get too warm until you decide how thick of a blanket you need.

Back