Winter Seasonal development

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkanaganMike

Reaction score
I'm wanting to develop a winter seasonal spiced type of beer. I've never brewed one before but have enjoyed them in the past from local craft breweries. Thinking of using my Irish death clone as a base (since I can harvest the yeast in 3 weeks) and would like advice on how to "spice it up". Thinking of flavor profiles of cinnamon, vanilla cloves, nutmeg and maybe orange rind?

Also thoughts on when to add. I've seen some boil for 10 mins, some add at flame out while others may add after primary fermentation in order not to lose any aroma?

Title: Irish Wake (Irish Death Clone)
Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Clone Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.060
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: 1.022
ABV (standard): 7.87%
IBU (tinseth): 35.24
SRM (morey): 32.47

FERMENTABLES:
14 lb - American - Pilsner (77.8%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (5.6%)
1 lb - Belgian - Caramel Pils (5.6%)
1 lb - Flaked Barley (5.6%)
8 oz - American - Chocolate (2.8%)
4 oz - American - Black Malt (1.4%)
4 oz - American - Roasted Barley (1.4%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 20.46
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 4.33
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 3.63
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.75
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 2.74
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.33

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - Irish Ale 1084
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 62 - 72 F

NOTES:
Toast the Flaked Barley in 300F oven until smells good.

Looks like a beefy winter warmer. Consider cutting down the Roasted Barley and Black Malt to 2oz each so their astringency and roastyness doesn't take away from the spices. Or, you could keep the dark grains separate and just cap the mash before sparging so you get their color benefits w/o much roastyness. Just a thought. I think of a winter warmer as a low-abv barleywine.

Regarding spices, the spices you are considering are ok, but add them judiciously towards the end of the boil. You can always add more to the fermenter/secondary/keg based on taste.

Also consider omitting the 15/10/1 minute hop additions so they don't overshadow the spices

I've got a beer somewhere between a Wee Heavy and English Barleywine that I'm gonna spice. I'm no expert, so I have some bourbon covering some crushed cinnamon, crushed allspice, and grated nutmeg. My plan is to strain out all the spices and add a measure amount to a sample of the beer until I like the level of spice, then scale it up to an amount I can add to the bottling bucket.

I've got a beer somewhere between a Wee Heavy and English Barleywine that I'm gonna spice. I'm no expert, so I have some bourbon covering some crushed cinnamon, crushed allspice, and grated nutmeg. My plan is to strain out all the spices and add a measure amount to a sample of the beer until I like the level of spice, then scale it up to an amount I can add to the bottling bucket.

Been thinking of a tincture like that but would probably use vodka as it is a neutral vs a Bourbon flavor. Don't get me wrong, I love Bourbon but would rather sip it than "ruin" it with spices :)

Looks like a beefy winter warmer. Consider cutting down the Roasted Barley and Black Malt to 2oz each so their astringency and roastyness doesn't take away from the spices. Or, you could keep the dark grains separate and just cap the mash before sparging so you get their color benefits w/o much roastyness. Just a thought. I think of a winter warmer as a low-abv barleywine.

Regarding spices, the spices you are considering are ok, but add them judiciously towards the end of the boil. You can always add more to the fermenter/secondary/keg based on taste.

Also consider omitting the 15/10/1 minute hop additions so they don't overshadow the spices

Noted. :mug:

I do my spices in a tincture so none of the VOCs cook off. Also easier to fine-tune after fermentation is done. I will say a little clove goes a long way.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I don't think I want to mess with this tasty beer. Nice to have a pint or two but mot sure if I'm going to enjoy a whole keg of spiced beer anyways.

Back