Winr Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flip143

Reaction score
Does anyone know if buying one of these in areas where amibent temps are much higher are really worth the money? Can't I just buy one of those Dorm room refrigaters instead? I could store carboy in closet, but it is still in mid 70's.

flip143 said:
Does anyone know if buying one of these in areas where amibent temps are much higher are really worth the money? Can't I just buy one of those Dorm room refrigaters instead? I could store carboy in closet, but it is still in mid 70's.

If you are looking for something to put carboys in, the dorm fridges are not big enough. The fridge's compressor sits behind/under a plastic plate at the bottom rear of the fridge, so there is no room to put a carboy on the floor of the fridge. You'd have to sit it on TOP of that compressor compartment.. but the fridges are not tall enough for that.

I was looking for a small fridge at one time and checked out just about every sized mini-fridge. None of them could hold a carboy.

I have no idea about the wine fridges, but I suspect they might have the same problem with the compressor's location.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
I have no idea about the wine fridges, but I suspect they might have the same problem with the compressor's location.

-walker
They are also too freaking expensive. Why when you put a label like "wine" fridge on it does its price jump 30 percent?

AHammer16 said:
They are also too freaking expensive. Why when you put a label like "wine" fridge on it does its price jump 30 percent?

GENERALLY... (I'm kind of looking at these now because SWMBO is considering becoming a full force vinter)....

the wine fridges are high humidity chambers (to keep corks wet and bottles sealed, I guess.)

They also sometimes come with dual-zone temperature control; one (cooler) for white wine and one (warmer) for red wine.

Seriously, the best bargain for a fermentation chamber is probably going to be found on craigslist. I found an 18 cubit foot 'regular' fridge on there a few weeks ago for $75.

If you want to purchace something brand NEW for the chamber, you won't get such a bargain, but check out some of the mid-sized chest freezers at HomeDepot or Sears. Those can be bought for $250 to $350 and should be able to hold 2 carboys.

-walker

Lowes down here sell wine cooler for $248. That is 30x21x22. No compressor on the bottom that I noticed. But I can always find used fridge in paper around $75. Just trying to save space in garage.

I use a wine fridge i bought from best buy. it cost about 150 bucks. It is large enough for my primary (bucket). i had to rig up a remote airlock to fit in the secondary, but it works. It has the compressor hump on the bottom, so I piled up a few books and the beer sits on both of em. On the "warmest" setting it is generally at 46degF... the box said it could go to 55degF, but oh well.

Back