Wine or Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justwingnit

Reaction score
I'm not new to making hard cider, as of now I have made a bunch of cider and even my twist of a Hard Arnold Palmer, But my latest batch of Cider may be better looked at as a wine, what would you call it???

I started with 5 gallon of Whole Foods 100% apple cider I simmered 2 gallons to dissolve the sugar, I added 4 TSP yeast nutrients, 3 TSP Matlice Acid, Put it into a 5 gallon carboy and added 2 more gallon and lowered temperature to 68F when I took my OG before tossing in yeast I found I had messed up and added way to much sugar my OG was 1.130 (probably should not have been doing shots of Jack when simmering the cider LOL) so I added 5th gallon of cider and mixed it well getting the OG down to 1.100, I pulled 1 gallon back out and put it into a 1 gallon carboy, I pitched wlp775 into the 5 gallon carboy and 1/3 pack of red star premier blanc into the gallon carboy, I had air lock activity on the 1 gallon red star in only a few hours, and air lock activity on the 4 gallon WLP775 within 10 hours. Today is the third day in primary and air locks are going crazy,

I like the dry higher abv hard apple cider that wlp775 finishes out with but I end up back sweetening it with unfermentables for my wife and a few of her friends.

With an OG of 1.100 am i making wine or cider? What have I done and what should i expect?

should I let the two carboys just go until they have no air lock activity or should I cold crash it early??

I'm thinking of trying to cold crash the (red star premier blanc) gallon and at least one gallon of the (wlp775) at about FG 1.025 so I can do a side by side comparison of the two yeast.

I have never done much with secondary, or aging, I'm one that drinks it to fast, but this time I may be forced to hold off.

what would you do with this stuff?

Im cold crashimg the red star now, at 12%,

edit 10/7/20
and wlp 775 is at 10% now, so I'm cold crashing it too.

They both taste great... now to see it it clears up

Last edited:
Back