wine is space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncommonsense

Reaction score
I was listening to NPR today and apparently one of the experiments aboard the SpaceX Dragon is to see if wine will ferment better/faster in space. Not realy beer but its kinda cool anyway. Also drunk astronauts. I would like to hear about the results when they're done.

very cool.

I read some stuff about bacteria surviving in space a while back. bacteria cultures put into deep space essentially 'froze,' then when brought back into an oxygenated, heated environment, they came back to life and continued to proliferate. Makes me wonder what yeast can do? yeast is pretty durn amazing, after all.

I'd be really curious to see the outcome. My guess - fermentation continues as normal in the zero-g environment, but the wine won't clear because the yeast won't fall out of suspension like normal. They should try a hefe next, since it won't need clearing!

Funny how the first commercial space mission happens and one of the first things we do is see if we can make alcohol in space lol... thats getting back to our nomadic roots right there!! I mean, space isnt habitable unless we can ferment something to drink right? :mug:

KeyWestBrewing said:
Funny how the first commercial space mission happens and one of the first things we do is see if we can make alcohol in space lol... thats getting back to our nomadic roots right there!! I mean, space isnt habitable unless we can ferment something to drink right? :mug:

Well ever sence we first started to ferment things (well watch the yeast do it) its been number one on our list of thing to do. Almost every great invention was made for beer, the wheel, AC, agriculture, writing, civilization. Next stops gotta be space.

I agree with that. I also think part of it, just my hypothesis here, is that "in theory" if yeast can reproduce in space then it may be possible for other life to reproduce in space.

well I'm sure zero g would not help the "clearing process" would prolly need to add a centrifuge to the brewing process

...won't clear because the yeast won't fall out of suspension like normal...

Yeah, they'll have to filter or centrifuge. Though I suppose any style that benefits from extended contact time with the yeast would be awesome in space.

Very cool.

Edit: Or, exactly what Kampo said above, haha.

Space wine and human reproduction studies, where do I sign up?

makes you wonder if they couldnt find hot enough space-chicks for the reproduction studies, so they threw in the alcohol to 'improve' their chances at the reproductive studies.

Next up, they'll shout out 'last call!' every 12 hours so the guys know they have to make their move quick

Latest posts

Back