Windsor or WPL001 or S-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
If you could only use one of the three types of yeasts, which would be best used for a MO/crystal 60/EKG recipe? It is going to be big on hops. TIA

I had thought Windsor would have been the best choice since it is designed for English beers, which my recipe is. I'm glad I started this thread.

Thanks for your comment.

I would choose Windsor last its attenuation is horrible on all malt beers

Not been my limited experience. Learned from this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/windsor-fg-woes-391931/ that others have experienced what I've learned is called "biphasic fermentation" with Windsor. It will appear finished, but a few days later take off again.

My young Americanized Special Bitter that I used Windsor on is quite good. It's got a oyster-shell flavor, "minerally," that I am quite happy with. The lower attenuation (70ish%) might actually be a good thing in a MO SMaSH as it will leave a little residual sweetness that will be missing from the lack of crystal.

As always, YMMV.

Agree with the Windsor hate, my worst beer ever made was with Windsor.

Of those three I would go with US-05. But if you want english style try to get your hands on US-04.

For the sake of fairness and tranquility I’d like to retract my statement on hate for Windsor. Maybe it was just the process or something else in my terrible beer.

Every yeast has its perfect brew I suppose. OPs just happens to be S-04! ;)

WLP001 and US-05 are very similar - highly attenuated, will leave your beer drier, good for American-style beers that feature hops. Windsor is more of an English style, has lower attenuation, but that doesn't mean your beer will be sweet. I use Windsor in an English-style Pale Ale with honey that finished at 1.008 and was delicious. http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/White-House-Honey-Ale.html

I've never used Windsor, but there are a lot of negative reviews of it here on the forum - try it on a small batch. As for wlp001 v. s-05; both can make a great beer, but in my experience it's easier to screw up with the dry yeasts - keep the ferm. temp. low.

Wlp001 for all intents and purposes is the exact same as US-05. They'll ferment clean and allow the hops and malt to come through.

Not sure if you have access to other strains but I agree with a previous poster to check out S-04 if you're looking for a more English style. I've also had great results with wlp007-the dry English yeast.

Wlp001 for all intents and purposes is the exact same as US-05. They'll ferment clean and allow the hops and malt to come through.

Not sure if you have access to other strains but I agree with a previous poster to check out S-04 if you're looking for a more English style. I've also had great results with wlp007-the dry English yeast.

I have those 3 particular yeasts in my fridge and I wanted to use one of them. Perhaps Windsor is for a more traditionally hopped English ale. It looks like I will try the WPL001 and see how it turns out. I will be using a lot of EKG, so perhaps WPL001 could be a better choice than WPL002. Thanks

Back