wilserbrewer BIAB bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big fan of wilsys bags. Used mine over year and a half with no issues. Dries super quick, easy to clean, no scorching!

Out of curiosity wilserbrewer, what is your setup like ? pulley, do u squeeze, full volume boil?

thx again for a great product. will be ordering a backup soon !

I recently got a Wilsey bag too and I can take it or leave it. Not very impressed at all ~ said no one ever!!

Very good bag. I will be ordering more.

Firstly, a big thank you to all who have supported the product, much appreciated.

wilserbrewer BIAB Bags is having a sale this weekend kicking off the warm weather brewing season. We are calling it the May Day Sale.

Details in the sponsor section here....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=580894

Thanks and happy brewing!
wilser

Hey Wilser,
Getting ready to jump into BIAB, and want to order a bag, but I have a one question to make sure I order the right thing...

I will be using a Concord 10 gal "S Series", 13.75" in diameter and 15" tall.

http://www.concordkettles.com/produ...el-brew-kettle-w-domed-lid-avail-in-20-180-qt

But my false bottom will be right at 3" off the bottom. Does the false bottom height play into the bag dimensions at all, or do you only need the kettle dims?

Thanks in advance...

Hey Wilser,
Getting ready to jump into BIAB, and want to order a bag, but I have a one question to make sure I order the right thing...

I will be using a Concord 10 gal "S Series", 13.75" in diameter and 15" tall.

http://www.concordkettles.com/produ...el-brew-kettle-w-domed-lid-avail-in-20-180-qt

But my false bottom will be right at 3" off the bottom. Does the false bottom height play into the bag dimensions at all, or do you only need the kettle dims?

Thanks in advance...

I'd buy it to fit the kettle without the FB, as this gives you the option to brew without the FB (I suggest you try with and without to see which you prefer.) A bag sized for no FB still works fine with an FB.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks Doug,

I also typically advise buying to fit the kettle, unless you will ALWAYS use the FB. In this case one would measure from the FB to the top of the kettle, and I provide an additional 2"-3" to overlap the top kettle rim.

Sizing the bag to the kettle gives the brewer the option to simply brew without a FB, heating to strike temp, doughing in and resting the mash, then removing the bag and boiling...so simple.

If a customer provides measurements both with, and without the FB, I try to keep the overlap to a minimum on the full kettle so the bag will work pretty well either way.

Thanks
wilser

Only one issue: PayPal doesn't have a place to add a NOTE for a custom bag size. How do I get that info to you along with payment??

PayPal does have a place to add a note to seller, it is a small "Add" icon that is a little hard to see below your shipping address...I actually have a screen shot on my site showing the PayPal add a note....click on it and a message box opens.

Or just email me the dimensions using the email links on my site.

My apologies, the site is basic and a little confusing, but if you place an order, I'll hound you for dimensions and get your bag out quickly.

Thanks
Wilser

Hello Homebrewer's

wilserbrewer is kicking off the summer sale today with lots of good value options.

Details posted in the Sponsor Showcase
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=585521

Also added a new product, Deluxe Hop Bags set with drawstring and cord lock, only $9 plus $3 shipping introductory pricing.
Thanks
Wilser

I could use those for dry hopping! I'm switching from muslin to nylon mesh. Way easier to keep clean. I like the locking draw string as well!

I feel compelled to write this review.

I ordered the Grand Slam package to be sent to a relative's address, where I would be over Christmas. It was supposed to arrive a week before Christmas but it never did. This WAS NOT Wilser's fault, but rather the USPS. The package had tracking on it but it was stuck in NJ, even though it was only going to PA. So sadly Christmas came and went and the package never arrived. During this time I was in contact with Wilser via email about the predicament. I wasn't going to brew until January 15th so I was hoping the bag would be found before then. New Years came and went, and still nothing....I talked to USPS and they opened a "case" to find it. By this point I was back home in Denver. Wilser graciously offered to send me another package to Denver, so that I would have it in preparation for my brew day. He said that once the 1st package was found, I could either send it back to him or keep it for a small fee. Long story short, the 1st package arrived at its destination and the 2nd package arrived to me in Denver. I decided to take him up on his offer of keeping both packages (in case I burn a bag one day or something else happens, you never know!)

So all this to say, I can't say enough about the amazing customer service. I feel like he went above and beyond in getting me the bags. Again, NONE of this was his fault, it was all on USPS. A huge kudos to Wilser for his great and gracious attitude.

As for the bag...I used it on 1/16 to brew a Russian River Blind Pig IPA clone. This was my first BIAB ever, so I don't have anything else to compare it to, but it worked beautifully. The bag seems very well made, and sturdy. I attached it to the pot using binder clips. Easy. I don't have a way to setup a pulley at the moment, so I just squeezed the bag. During the boil, I used the hop sock to add my hops. Again, I attached it to the pot using a binder clip. Although I guess a hop spider is fancy, I don't really see a need for it...save yourself the money! Again, the hop sock worked great. As I was brewing an IPA, this left lots of hop trub out of my wort. Success!

Cleaning the bags are simple...dump everything in the trash (err, compost(, then just run the bags under cold water...it can help to turn them inside out to get all the grains/trub off. Then I just air dryed them on a towel rack and they dried super fast.

So in short, 20 out of 10 for customer service, 10/10 for the product. :mug:

Agreed, berndawg. Wilser's product and customer service is fantastic, easily good enough that I'm going to direct a buddy of mine to him once he picks up brewing again later this year.

I've used my bag for almost 10 batches since may and it's great. Also bought my father in law one. I used my hop bag for the first time last batch and it had a total of 3 oz of hops. When I went to lightly squeeze the bag to release liquid from the pellets one of the seams tire. Has anyone else had this issue before? Trying out the dry hop bag in my keg for the first time now. Interested to see how it works out.

What kind of efficiency is everyone getting using this? I'm getting ready to do my first BIAB with this soon and am trying to plan my recipe accordingly.

always over 70 and near 80, but the bag doesn't impact that ... IMHO. It is time soaking and crush that yields conversion

The bag is simply a filter and Wilser's bags are superb .. again MHO

I feel compelled to write this review.

I ordered the Grand Slam package to be sent to a relative's address, where I would be over Christmas. It was supposed to arrive a week before Christmas but it never did. This WAS NOT Wilser's fault, but rather the USPS. The package had tracking on it but it was stuck in NJ, even though it was only going to PA. So sadly Christmas came and went and the package never arrived. During this time I was in contact with Wilser via email about the predicament. I wasn't going to brew until January 15th so I was hoping the bag would be found before then. New Years came and went, and still nothing....I talked to USPS and they opened a "case" to find it. By this point I was back home in Denver. Wilser graciously offered to send me another package to Denver, so that I would have it in preparation for my brew day. He said that once the 1st package was found, I could either send it back to him or keep it for a small fee. Long story short, the 1st package arrived at its destination and the 2nd package arrived to me in Denver. I decided to take him up on his offer of keeping both packages (in case I burn a bag one day or something else happens, you never know!)

So all this to say, I can't say enough about the amazing customer service. I feel like he went above and beyond in getting me the bags. Again, NONE of this was his fault, it was all on USPS. A huge kudos to Wilser for his great and gracious attitude.

As for the bag...I used it on 1/16 to brew a Russian River Blind Pig IPA clone. This was my first BIAB ever, so I don't have anything else to compare it to, but it worked beautifully. The bag seems very well made, and sturdy. I attached it to the pot using binder clips. Easy. I don't have a way to setup a pulley at the moment, so I just squeezed the bag. During the boil, I used the hop sock to add my hops. Again, I attached it to the pot using a binder clip. Although I guess a hop spider is fancy, I don't really see a need for it...save yourself the money! Again, the hop sock worked great. As I was brewing an IPA, this left lots of hop trub out of my wort. Success!

Cleaning the bags are simple...dump everything in the trash (err, compost(, then just run the bags under cold water...it can help to turn them inside out to get all the grains/trub off. Then I just air dryed them on a towel rack and they dried super fast.

So in short, 20 out of 10 for customer service, 10/10 for the product. :mug:

Would you share the blind pig recipe?

Just received my order, and I am impressed! 20 gallon, 10 gallon, 2 dry hop bags, 2 boil hop bags, and a bonus bag? Thanks Wilser!

I. Can't. Freakin. Wait. To. Brew 🤘

The quality is obvious, the fit on all bags is perfect, best $ spent on brew gear since I bought a keg

Placed an order at 12:45 last night, then realized I put the wrong shipping info in PayPal. I sent an email with the updated info and received a confirmed photo with the correct shipping label by 3:00AM. Talk about fast customer service!

Last edited:
I placed an order this morning. Minutes later I received a response stating he will have the bag in the mail tomorrow and already provided a USPS tracking number.

This is my second time ordering from Wilser and great experiences both times!

So, apparently it's possible to get a stuck sparge with BIAB if you use a metric f#ckton of rye and wheat 🤔

Had to make a Zapap in a hurry and added a couple of hours to my brew day messing with it. Note to self, use those rice hulls even when BIABing it! First brews with my WilserBags and the Kolsch went smooth as silk...the rye hop bomb, not so much! Gotta say I love the BIAB bags and the hop bags are incredible. No worries with the plate chiller

So, apparently it's possible to get a stuck sparge with BIAB if you use a metric f#ckton of rye and wheat

Had to make a Zapap in a hurry and added a couple of hours to my brew day messing with it. Note to self, use those rice hulls even when BIABing it! First brews with my WilserBags and the Kolsch went smooth as silk...the rye hop bomb, not so much! Gotta say I love the BIAB bags and the hop bags are incredible. No worries with the plate chiller

Yeah, rye is the absolute worst. Wheat can get pretty sticky, but as soon as you add even a moderate amount of rye to any grain bill, expect to have a difficult time. I always heat to mashout temp before pulling the bag when brewing with rye or wheat for this very reason.

I've had some slow runoffs w/ BIAB. I find it can help to alternately lift each side of the bag to expose fresh material that is clean and above the "sludge line"

Sometimes a layer of "mud", and that is a brewing term for the creamy crud at the top of the mash, forms and you can help the drain by shifting the grist back and forth to expose the upper clean portions of the bag.

Perhaps not with a metric f*ckton of rye, but I've had success with a bit less.

I've had some slow runoffs w/ BIAB. I find it can help to alternately lift each side of the bag to expose fresh material that is clean and above the "sludge line"

Sometimes a layer of "mud", and that is a brewing term for the creamy crud at the top of the mash, forms and you can help the drain by shifting the grist back and forth to expose the upper clean portions of the bag.

Perhaps not with a metric f*ckton of rye, but I've had success with a bit less.

That's exactly what I tried...worked great with the Kolsch in the big 20 gallon pot. Not so much with the RyePA in the 10. The "ears" of the bag kept sticking out and spilling wort outside the pot when I tried to roll it around or squeeze and the mud had covered everything. That's why I made the Papazian special Zapap!

Latest posts

Back