wilserbrewer BIAB bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's now been 11 months since I purchased the Wilserbrewer bag and pulley, and after 14 brews I can say that I am really happy with the purchase. The bag fits perfectly in my kettle and the pulley works very well. I squeeze the heck out of the bag for every brew but it seems to be holding up well. This is one of those purchases that you never regret. My only question is how many brews until the bag needs replacing?

This is one of those purchases that you never regret. My only question is how many brews until the bag needs replacing?

Thank you for the praise. As far as replacing the bag, with proper use and care, a bag will last a very long time, I have received reports of 50-100 batches on one bag and still going....

Any chance of a Black Friday sale coming up?

Yes, there is a chance of a Black Friday sales event, the marketing department is working on it now, yet the accounting department constantly reminds me that we already have the lowest prices available by a good margin.....

Meh, maybe I'll give the accountants the weekend off :)

My wife will be buying the grand slam package for me for Christmas soon. I can't wait to use a decent bag. My others haven't gone past a few brews before being useless.

Almost missed this! I was looking at this thread, and just happened to notice the other thread... Ordered a spare BIAB and 4 more dry hop socks. Thanks!

I plan on ordering your bags, I have a basket inside my eBIAB system do I measure the basket or the kettle when I order?

Thanks

I plan on ordering your bags, I have a basket inside my eBIAB system do I measure the basket or the kettle when I order?

Thanks

The bag should be sized to fully line the basket, and also overlap the top rim of the kettle 2-3 inches.

I would need the height from the bottom of the basket to the top rim of the kettle with the basket installed, as well as the outside diameter of the kettle top rim.

Including brand and size is sometimes helpful as well.

Thanks

Ordered two bags from wilserbrewer on Sunday to take advantage of the black friday sale, received them on Wednesday from opposite coasts (NJ to CA). I can't wait to use my new bags!!! The quality appears to be second to none! Thanks again wilser, I couldn't be happier. I will update after a couple of uses.

First brew with Wilser bags today. Mash and hops.
What a pleasure over the paint strainers I have been using for the last year.
Bag tie down was awesome.
Recirculation on my High grav system was no issue.
Drained nicely.
Easy to clean up afterwards.

Question for those of you that do have a thermometer built into kettle. I did my first all grain BIAB yesterday and wasn't think when I yanked the bag out. Of course the bag snagged the therm probe and ripped spilling some grains. Any advice on avoiding this? Should I just try and move the bag away from probe with mash paddle and then pull up or what?

The probe should not be an issue under normal use. Before attempting to lift the bag, push it clear of the probe with your spoon or paddle, and the raise the bag out the opposite side of the kettle.

I have repaired a couple bags where the brewer neglects the above advice, snags the bag on the probe, then enlists a couple friends to try and tug and grunt the bag out of the kettle. Even with a huge grain bill, the bag should easily rise to the top of the wort surface.

A good stir prior to bag removal might not be a bad idea either, so the grain bed is not packed tight around the probe. When I remove a bag, I gather the bag, and slowly lift while letting it drain, and raise the grain ball to the surface, and then slowly hoist it out.

Just be aware that's it's there and steer clear when removing the bag and you shouldn't have a problem. The bags are quite strong and typically only damaged by abuse.

Sorry to hear you had an accident. You must have been yanking pretty good to damage the bag.

PM me if you would like to mail it in for repair.

Thanks
Wilser

Does anyone use one of these bags with a Jaybird/Norcal false bottom in a continuously recirculating system? Mine is letting a lot of grain through and I need to find a fix. I'm not sure if there will be enough opened area since I have no basket. It's just a stainless mashtun with a false bottom. The only place wort will be able to pass through the bag during recirculation is through the false bottom's holes. I doubt any will go through the sides of the bag as it will be smashed up against the side of the MT.

I believe Yooper is using one of my bags with JB false bottom for exactly the reasons you stated. I recall her being pleased, but you could PM her for input.

As with any recirculating system, crush and pump speed play a big role in how much volume you can move through the grain.

I have sold quite a few to line MT's in recirc type systems and haven't had any negative feedback.

I plan on using the very fine bag I got from the Black Friday deal in a recirculation system over Christmas break. I have a bit of an oversupply problem right now with beer, wine and cider though...;) I suppose aging the wine more would work... ;)

How much coarser would you suggest to grind on a keggle recirc than worked on a batch sparge voile cooler setup? I have a valve on the pump output so I can slow it down greatly if need be...

Fred

Wilser BIAB bags are amazing! Nothing but great things about his product. His customer service is second to none! There is no reason anyone who BIABs should use anything but Wilser's product!!

I used one of the Wilserbrewer hop bags in my boil today, using pellet hops. I noticed that when I pulled out the bag to check to see if the latest addition had gotten submerged, that there was a lot of liquid inside the bag that didn't drain out when I lifted it up. It seems like the hop pellet particles are blocking the mesh, keeping the wort inside. If this is happening when I lift it up, is is happening during the boil? Is there a free flow of wort in and out of the bag? Would it be better to use a larger mesh size for hop bags?

I used one of the Wilserbrewer hop bags in my boil today, using pellet hops. I noticed that when I pulled out the bag to check to see if the latest addition had gotten submerged, that there was a lot of liquid inside the bag that didn't drain out when I lifted it up. It seems like the hop pellet particles are blocking the mesh, keeping the wort inside. If this is happening when I lift it up, is is happening during the boil? Is there a free flow of wort in and out of the bag? Would it be better to use a larger mesh size for hop bags?

The currents of the boil move the water through just fine - I haven't ever had a problem with extraction. The fine mesh keeps more of the hop debris in the bag and out of the fermentor. Just let the bag drain or give it a good squeeze at the end of the boil.

If wort can get into the hops bag, then I assume that hop goodness can flow out. I read once about using a potato ricer to get a good squeeze on the hop bag. I'm pretty sure that just the weight of the 'plunger' would drain the bag nicely - no need to crank on it. Just my guess.

The currents of the boil move the water through just fine - I haven't ever had a problem with extraction. The fine mesh keeps more of the hop debris in the bag and out of the fermentor. Just let the bag drain or give it a good squeeze at the end of the boil.

I don't know if I am having problems with extraction--the beers always taste good. But when I pull the hop bag out to check it, it looks like a water balloon. Hardly anything drains out, and the inside looks like it is covered (clogged?) with a film of hops, keeping the wort inside.

I don't worry about debris in the fermentor, but I do want to keep big stuff from clogging my pump during chilling. I may try a bag with larger mesh and see how that works.

I haven't used my Wisler bag yet but i'm wondering if I might want to add just a wee more hops than the recipe calls for to get close to profile due to the bag preventing the last bit to enter the wort?

I haven't used my Wisler bag yet but i'm wondering if I might want to add just a wee more hops than the recipe calls for to get close to profile due to the bag preventing the last bit to enter the wort?

Are you referring to the grain bag or the hop bag?

I haven't had any noticeable issue with either.

You can account for grain and hop absorption. Also I squeeze my bag using cutting boards so most of the wort is gone from the grain.

My overall efficiency is 70-80% which is good enough for me to not spend time doing a sparge.

I made my first bag myself and though it worked well, it has not lasted well. After squeezing my last batch the seams started kinda pulling a bit so I don't think I could really trust it anymore. Anyway I ordered and received a Wilserbag and have brewed one batch so far. They are very well made and I'm pretty sure I paid just as much for the privilege of making my own so they are a great deal. I don't know how he makes a profit at his price. If ya need a brew bag, his are well worth the price! A good deal!!!

Just got my bags today, one for my new 10 gallon kettle and one for my 1 gallon batch kettle. Can't wait to try them out!

Just finished my first brew day with my WilserBrewer BIAB bags. I can't say enough about how much easier and better these high-quality bags made my brew day. Highly, highly recommended.

The grain bag fit my kettle perfectly. For anyone who has used the cheap Home Depot 5 gallon paint strainer bags, if you try to put more than 10 or so lbs of grain in, it pulls really hard on the bag, and a good amount of your grain doesn't get completely submerged. This leads to truly crappy efficiency.

The better material means that the bag drains MUCH faster. I didn't have a good spot to rig up the included pulley attachment, but it would be so easy to set your kettle underneath and boil while the rest of the wort drains out.

Combined with stirring constantly (which I was able to do because all of the grain soaked and sank, allowing me to stir without overflowing the kettle), the bag helped my efficiency jump ~10%. For the first time in recent memory, I hit all of my BeerSmith numbers dead on, including my volume.

Edit: Grab the pulley Wilser offers. Hoist the bag up on the pulley a few inches above the wort, start your boil and let the bag drain right into the boiling wort. No more colanders, burning your hands squeezing, or using a potato masher in a bucket.

Last edited:
Used my Wilser bag for the first time today, and all I can say is wow. Anyone doing BIAB without one of these is missing out. This bag drains easily, cleans up easily, works perfectly.

I had two Wilserbrewer bags for my 6 gallon pot that I got about a year ago. I used them both to make a couple of one gallon batches and of course, melted the tops on them. Totally my own fault. I placed another order with Wilserbrewer on Sunday ( I got a great deal on two more bags for my 6 gallon pot and 2 for my one gallon batches) and they arrived today (Thursday). That is a quick turn around time and the bags look great. As an added bonus Wilserbrewer threw in two hop bags free of charge. Thanks a lot!! :mug:

Lot of that going around, apparently. I brewed a saison last Monday and while cleaning up my bags accidentally got left in a bucket and I didn't notice until I went into the basement and the smell hit me. I tried washing and bleaching but the mold just wouldn't come off. So I have a whole new set on the way!

Used mine for the first time this past weekend. Can't believe I've been using other bags! The drawstring is great to keep the bag in place while I'm stirring, and it drains amazingly well. I only had about .7 gallons of absorption on 11 pounds of grain, and didn't even have to squeeze the bag. Seems like the bag is going to last forever, too.

Got my bags today. Big shout out and huge thanks to Wilserbrewer for the phatty Superbowl hookup!
Looking forward to using my new, top notch brew bags next weekend.

:rockin:

Just used mine for the first time Sunday. WOW night and day difference from the paint strainer bag I was using.

Just used mine for the first time yesterday. I cannot believe how much sturdier and higher quality this bag was than others I've used.

Back