Will this brew pot work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Been lurking in the background soaking up the knowledge and reading the online brewing book. Getting ready to buy the hardware for my first batch.

Read the forum posts on stainless steel (lasts a lifetime)
Read the forums on Aluminum (don't scrob off the oxide layer)

The local hardware store has a gas fired turkey fryer that includes a pot made out of cold rolled steel. Obviously not the same as stainless. Should I go for it or keep searching for one with an aluminum pot?

Stick to stainless or aluminum. If you really need to go cheap one of the enamel coated canning pots will work.

Are you sure it's not stainless? Cold rolled is about the finish, not the alloy. It surprises me that they make a non-stainless one, but I guess they do...

I really can't think why you couldn't use that. You would have to be careful of rust, and clean and dry it really well, but I don't think it would react to a wort in a noticeable way, but I may be wrong...
How much is it selling for? I'm going turkey fryer shopping after thanksgiving maybe on cragslist.

The cold rolled steel refers to the legs and body that holds the burner. The pot is aluminum.

From the Google:
Masterbuilt - Propane Turkey Fryer All welded black solid steel 15" LP gas cooker stand Cast iron burner Type 1 regulator and hose 30 qt. aluminum turkey pot and lid Stainless steel thermometer Wide handle lifting hook Timer with auto shut-off
Add to Shopping List.

Please note I am not sure if the timer with auto shut off is the one that everyone complains about having to reset all time. Could be a bother.

User reviews at Lowes and Amazon for this were less than stellar.

OK. That makes more sense. Also found one online at bass pro for $100 that has a stainless steel pot and has a spigot. Searching...searching...searching.....

I went with a Bayou SP10 and a separate 40qt pot from a restaurant supply place (instawares.com) after having a miserable time trying to get 2.5gal to boil on my stove for my first brew. If you're looking for a kit though, this might fit the bill:

http://www.bayouclassiccooking.com/oucose.html

Better burner (55k BTUs over 40k on the Lowes), and a 30qt ally pot.

I'm sure someone will come on here and educate me as to what I did (or didn't do) wrong... but my first brew pot was aluminum (bayou). I seasoned it (to build up the oxide layer), used it for one brew day, and it pitted almost instantly like nobody's business. I know that aluminum went somewhere. I also know I'll never use aluminum for prolonged contact w/ acidic liquids/foods again.

YMMV.

I think you might be wishing you had something a little bigger than a 30quart pot for full boils.

I'm using a 32 quart pot, if you're going to do full boils go bigger. It's a royal pain in the ass doing 90 minute boils even with the anti foam drops.

Scorching is really only a problem when adding LME with the flame on.

I recommend a 40 qt pot. I have used a 30 and it will work but boil overs happen. A 60 qt is really the way to go to have room to grow. I still use my 30 qt fryer pot for hot water.

Latest posts

Back