will my wax paper mishap kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitebirdfeathers

Reaction score
I just made a batch of candi sugar for a Belgian ale and poured it on wax paper instead of parchment to cool. Now it has some wax soaked into the candi. Will this wax kill my yeast upon fermentation or will the boil somehow disovle it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

It might make floaties in the end product but if its kitchen wax paper its food grade.

Start using parchment paper for cooking and leave the wax paper for wrapping meat.

paraffin is completely insoluble in water, and is basically non-reactive. there's no reason i can see to think it would be harmful to yeast. my guess is that not much of it will make it past the boil, where it will melt and probably stick to the side of the kettle, any bits of it floating in the wort are going to end up stuck inside yeast rafts and you will be able to siphon the beer away from them just like residual krausen or trub.

Back