Will it harm wine to be stabilized twice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnync

Reaction score
I have several gallons of wine that I can't remember if I stabilized or not ( should keep notes).
Will it harm the wine to stabilize it twice?

I add k-meta several times as I bulk age wine for a year or so. You'll be fine as long as you don't do anything insane. also you don't need sorbate unless you are planning on back sweetening.

WI_wino, I couldn't agree more - sorbate is needed only if back sweetening.
Johnnync -How long has it been sine you think that you might have stabilized it with meta? How much wine are we speaking about?

Johnnync -How long has it been sine you think that you might have stabilized it with meta? How much wine are we speaking about?

The 8 bottles of sparkling viognier in my wine closet would disagree with you. It sat 30 days with no SG change. K meta added at bottling. Everything by the book, still re-fermented in the bottle.

It could be that all the co2 did not come out of the wine before you bottled or you had a spontaneous malolactic fermentation. Neither of which sorbate would affect I think.

Did you add sugar or anything prior to bottling? The yeast need something to eat in order to ferment in the bottle.

They are gallon batches, so it's not the end of the world. Maybe 6 months since It was stabalized, if it was.

Latest posts

Back