Will cold crash help hops to settle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokenjoke

Reaction score
Hate to be a pain but the more I read the more questions I have. Since I bottle I'm dry hopping during week 4 of a month long primary. My question is: would there be any benefit in cold crashing at the end of the 4th week? Would this help the hops to settle or would I just be slowing down the carbonation period when bottled?

Thanks!

It will help settle out anything that is not dissolved in the beer.

You would just leave the bottled beer at room temp after bottling and the yeast will eat the sugars and the beer will carbonate normally.

Hop haze will stay for a very long time from my experience. I mean weeks even at 36-40F. All the beers I dry hop in keg turn out that way

Sent from GT-I9100M

smokenjoke said:
Hate to be a pain but the more I read the more questions I have. Since I bottle I'm dry hopping during week 4 of a month long primary. My question is: would there be any benefit in cold crashing at the end of the 4th week? Would this help the hops to settle or would I just be slowing down the carbonation period when bottled?

Thanks!

It will help to drop hop and other particles to the bottom, and you may have some haze still. You might want to try transfering to a secondary and racking on top of some gelatin and then cold crash to help with the hop haze and drop particles out of suspension. (You would be doing a lot of transfering though)

What the hell is hop haze? I dry hop all the time and cold crash for a couple of days. The hops fall to the bottom (pellet hops), and I rack to my keg or bottling bucket. No haze from the hops. I used to get chill haze before I mastered my chilling techniques of brewing day, but not anymore. Just remember to replace your airlock with some sanitized aluminum foil to avoid the sanitizer being sucked into your primary. The pressure inside the vessel will change when it gets cold and draw the fluid in.

i'm with hammy. cept i use a s shaped airlock so it bubbles backwards (no suck back)

Hammy71 said:
What the hell is hop haze? I dry hop all the time and cold crash for a couple of days. The hops fall to the bottom (pellet hops), and I rack to my keg or bottling bucket. No haze from the hops. I used to get chill haze before I mastered my chilling techniques of brewing day, but not anymore. Just remember to replace your airlock with some sanitized aluminum foil to avoid the sanitizer being sucked into your primary. The pressure inside the vessel will change when it gets cold and draw the fluid in.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/no-its-not-chill-haze-55888/
I don't know, what to call it, but its from dry hopping, IMO.

IMO, unless you are entering your beer into a competition, does it really matter if your beer is hazy? Close your eyes and taste. Does it taste good? If so, that's all that matters.

IMO, unless you are entering your beer into a competition, does it really matter if your beer is hazy? Close your eyes and taste. Does it taste good? If so, that's all that matters.

Well, I don't know. I'm just one of those guys that appreciates a crystal clear beer.

Well, I don't know. I'm just one of those guys that appreciates a crystal clear beer.
Yeah, I'm with you. I'm in for the whole experience. Next thing you know that guy will be telling you to pinch your nose. As long as it taste good the aroma doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

LandoLincoln said:

And not to take anything away from that, because honestly there is nothing like seeing a crystal clear beer that you made. I'm just trying to say that in the end, taste is what matters most

gcdowd said:
And not to take anything away from that, because honestly there is nothing like seeing a crystal clear beer that you made. I'm just trying to say that in the end, taste is what matters most

I hear ya, I'm not gonna chalk a batch up as a loss due to it not being clear, but I won't be thrilled about it either. I'm a newer brewer, and I'm tryin to learn as much as I can from all of you! At the same time, I want it to look good I like to think I take it seriously.(not that anyone else doesn't) :mug:

hough77 said:
I hear ya, I'm not gonna chalk a batch up as a loss due to it not being clear, but I won't be thrilled about it either. I'm a newer brewer, and I'm tryin to learn as much as I can from all of you! At the same time, I want it to look good I like to think I take it seriously.(not that anyone else doesn't) :mug:

A fair point. Many people are turned off by cloudy beer, and clarity is good (depending on the style). But good beer is good beer.

Just remember to replace your airlock with some sanitized aluminum foil to avoid the sanitizer being sucked into your primary. The pressure inside the vessel will change when it gets cold and draw the fluid in.

How is this done, replacing airlock with foil?

At least for me the amount of haze varies with how much dry hops I'm using. I don't get a haze with just 1 oz of hops but as I move up past 3 oz there is a haze. Don't think it is just me since when I compared my Surly Bitter Brewer clone (ala Northern Brewer) to the original beer my look, haze and all, was a dead on match to the original.

I use carboys, so I just sanitize some foil in starsan and put on the top. If your using a bucket just take off the top of your airlock and empty the fluid, then place foil over the top of it.

Will do. Thanks Hammy.

Thank you for this info I wasn't aware that it was sucked back for cold crash either.

Back