Will a yeast starter keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiller

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter yesterday in preparation to brew today, but I woke up this morning with the flu. Brewing will have to wait, so can I let the fermentation finish on the starter, seal it, and put it in the fridge? If so, how long will it keep, because I won't be able to brew for about 4 weeks now due to my schedule. Thanks!

That will be fine. Put it in the fridge with some sanitized foil over it when it's done. It should be perfectly fine to pitch in 4 weeks, but you could always just wake it back up with another, smaller starter when you're ready to brew.

Thanks! I let it ferment for about 48 hours, and there was a sizable yeast cake at the bottom and my fermentation lock had pretty much stopped bubbling. I make my starters in a growler, so I sanitized the lid and screwed it on. It is now sealed in my fridge.

Back