Wild yeast coverup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigringking

Reaction score
I and two fellow brewers did a Zombie Dust clone last weekend. One buddy was going to do a yeast starter that the three of us were going to pitch into it at some point later in the week. Well, all three of our clone brews started to ferment to one degree or another. It's not a vigorous fermentation (not compared to the IPA we also brewed AND pitched that same day). So is that ZD clone ruined? Can we pitch a different yeast "over" it to try to save it?

I guess there is no harm or nothing lost in pitching a packet of dry yeast into it now and see what happens. But, I suspect your wild yeast will stick around, even as the brewing yeast does its work, and after the brewing yeast has quit, the wild yeast will just keep on plugging away.

You really should have had that starter ready on brew day. Either way, you've already invested in the batch of beer, there is no sense in doing nothing. Add some yeast and hopefully it works out for you.

Funny. I was just going to post the exact same thing. It's like we where part of the same brew day. Oh, we where...

I just took the WLP002 off the stir plate and am cold crashing it. I'll split it up 3 ways and put yours into sterilized canning jars and give them to Ed later today. I'm going to pitch ASAP and see if I can save this thing.

Yeah for future reference, don't brew unless you KNOW you have viable yeast ready to go. You can't just leave the beer sitting for a few days once it's cooled down to room temps and exposed to air.

One of you should let it go and see what happens. Pitch the starter in the other 2 fermentors. Then share.

I suggust all three of you dump your portions down the drain. It's not worth the trouble. You should have had the starter ready on time. You heard the people.

I decided to go ahead and see where it ends up. I pitched some WLP002 to see what happens. It smelled really bad to me when I opened up the carbouy. I don't know how to identify smells but this was not a good smell. Probably had a bacteria rather than a wild yeast. Well, we'll see what happens in a month.

Oh, and dburgette, I'll come to Fort Wayne, wherever that is and find you. It won't be pretty. It'll be like a debate over electrical codes.

Back