Wild Pitch Yeast Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
Has anyone used this company? I've ordered from them and their product is actually pretty cool. They have a line lactic producing yeasts, and the flavor on them is pretty awesome. The one downside is if you dont live in there area, shipping is crazy expensive. The yeast itself is only 10 bucks a vial, but to ship where I live was live 40-50 bucks. I think its because they expedite it, and ship in those cold foam boxes, but holy crap. I'm gonna have to find a way to make it last. Anyway, I just thought I'd let everyone know about them. Maybe one day they'll be big enough to get a shipping contract or something, and we can do cheaper shipping like the other bigger companies. If you live in their area, which I think is Michigan, you should give them a try. If you live somewhere else, their worth a try, but beware of shipping costs. Also, I ordered four vials because shipping is about the same for 1 as it is for 4. Another note, I decided to place a second order, because my two other lactic yeasts I think got contaminated, so I think some of these might take a little extra care when storing and propping up. I'm usually pretty good with sanitation, but I might have overlooked something with my last batch. I did a split batch and they tasted great, but when I tried to reuse the yeasts, I couldn't get the same lactic production as the first time. So, I'll be a bit more cautious next time around. Anyways, give them a shot. Wildpitchyeast.com

That's actually old. If you contact them they're more help. Matt Bochman has been the guy I've been talking to. He's very helpful. Here's some screen shots of their actual list. You didn't hear from me, but they could use some help on web design. The spreadsheet was too big for 1 pic.
Screenshot_20190929-180335_Hancom%20Office%20Editor.jpeg
Screenshot_20190929-180347_Hancom%20Office%20Editor.jpeg
Screenshot_20190929-180352_Hancom%20Office%20Editor.jpeg

That's cool .... If they want customers they should definitely fix the site. Or sell to a retailer. Because right now it's hard to even know what they have, much less purchase it.

I get that they're small scale, but seriously, I have that many cultures in my basement and could ship at a moment's notice.

I have some YH72 in my fridge and can't really think of a use for it. You haven't used that strain have you?

Yeah, I used it. It was just a simple wheat extract batch to get an idea of what it tasted like. I thought it had a great flavor. I'm excited to try it again. I was thinking of a tropical fruit sour with some late Amarillo additions and dry hop. I was initially intrigued, because you can basically get the same effect as a kettle sour with out the extra bugs and extra steps, but I think there's even more to offer with them then that. Maybe I'll keep posting about them as I mess with them more. As far as the company goes, I think they could definately use a little help on the homebrew side of their business for sure. I hope they can get there and make it work, because their product is really interesting.

So, the article mentions that they aren't really set up for large scale yeast production yet, and that they're mostly collaborating with small scale breweries. So, hopefully they get there. I think its definately a fun thing to experiment with, just wish shipping was cheaper. Hopefully I can make my latest order last a little longer. Maybe, I'll stay a little more focused on making sure everything's clean.

Back