Wierd - Different bottle shape, different taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmcgee

Reaction score
OK, I know this is crazy, but I keep noticing that my IPA's bottle conditioned in Sam Adams bottles taste better than beers conditioned in SNPA bottles. I can't imagine why this would be, but it's happened now at least three times and I don't get it. The only thing I can think of is that it's harder the get the SNPA bottles completely free of old yeast.

Besides suggesting it's all in my head, anyone have any idea why this might be?

SNPA bottles are relatively squat, while Sam Adams bottles are longnecks...that's all that I can really muster up. Maybe you're noticing the slight extra surface area of oxygen in the neck...although that seems unlikely. Maybe others will have better responses, but that's all I could muster up.

Are you drinking out of the bottles?

No, out of a glass. Today it was a Chimay glass. It seems like the SNPA bottles might be yeastier, so perhaps the larger surface area at the bottom allows more yeast to flow into the glass?

The beer doesn't taste oxidized, just different. More green I guess you might say. It's almost like the SNPA bottles are conditioning slower or something.

If you are drinking the yeast, then I could see this happening. Most of us leave the yeast behind...

think the shape of the neck makes the pour different? does one get a better head? didnt Miller spend a milloin bucks on the bottle shape.. hell, I dont know. its all in your head. :D

Back