Why was my SG so high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
I was just reviewing the fact sheet on my first non-Mr Beer brew, and I realized that I was over my target SG by a longhost. My target SG (so says Midwest Supplies) was 1.049-1.053. Looking back at my notes, I was at 1.062 just before pitching the yeast.

I followed the directions to the letter (directions). The only difference was that I added the pellet hops directly into the wort, instead of using a grain bag. Could this have contributed to my high SG? I'm not too worried about the finished product, I'm sure it'll come out fine. I'm just wondering what could have made my SG so darn high.

Are there any common newbie mistakes that can result in a high SG like this? Was it just that I added the pellet hops directly to the wort?

Thanks in advance.

Edited: Really, I'm not worried. The airlock bubbling happily, so I'm happy.

Most likely your volume came out somewhat below 5 gallons. Also make sure you're doing temperature corrections when using your hydrometer (I believe they're calibrated to 20C, it should say on the instrument)
The hops probably didn't contribute, as long as they weren't in your sample cylinder.
Cheers.

You most likely did not stir the top off water in well enough and sampled a thicker portion of the finished beer. Or, you did not top off to the correct volume.

Also, if you had the notion that not using a hop bag was somehow contributing to a high O.G., I feel that you really do not understand the brewing process well enough yet. Hops, nor how they are added to the boil, contribute nothing to gravity points.

It actually came out just above 5 gallons, but you're right about the temperature corrections. I'll have to go check my hydrometer instructions. Thanks!

Guilty as charged. Well, I learned my lesson for the day. Thanks. :mug:

When I did it the internet didn't exist, so I just thought I had a 12% beer coming. Until I drank it and realized it was just normal strength beer. It was the best beer I had ever had though.

I was just reviewing the fact sheet on my first non-Mr Beer brew, and I realized that I was over my target SG by a longhost. My target SG (so says Midwest Supplies) was 1.049-1.053. Looking back at my notes, I was at 1.062 just before pitching the yeast.

I followed the directions to the letter (directions). The only difference was that I added the pellet hops directly into the wort, instead of using a grain bag. Could this have contributed to my high SG? I'm not too worried about the finished product, I'm sure it'll come out fine. I'm just wondering what could have made my SG so darn high.

Are there any common newbie mistakes that can result in a high SG like this? Was it just that I added the pellet hops directly to the wort?

Thanks in advance.

Edited: Really, I'm not worried. The airlock bubbling happily, so I'm happy.

Yea!!! You've made a mistake in the right direction... MORE BOOZE!!! Don't worry you'll be just fine!! As for the higher gravity? More fermentables, bro!! Maybe the guy packing your kit was having a brew himself!!

Back