Why people use secondaries for dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
The typical line I read on here is something like "secondaries are unnecessary unless you're adding fruit, dry hopping, or letting it ferment for many months."

What is the reasoning behind racking to a secondary for dry hopping? Why not just throw the hops in the primary 5 or so days before bottling? What am I missing?

I usually do it to free up a bucket. After a couple of weeks in primary, that bucket is in line to be used again. If I wasn't planning on brewing soon, I'd just go ahead and dry hop in primary.

I like to dry hop in a secondary because I have noticed that the hop flavor isn't as strong when I dry hop in the primary - my theory is that some of the hop 'goodness' gets caught up in the trub. YMMV

I like to dry hop in a secondary because I have noticed that the hop flavor isn't as strong when I dry hop in the primary - my theory is that some of the hop 'goodness' gets caught up in the trub. YMMV

The guy from stone said that if you have a large amount of yeast in suspension, it will reduce the effectiveness of your dry hops. So if you do dry hop in primary, it's a good idea to cold crash first.

Because I like to harvest the yeast from the primary without all the hops from the dry hopping.

This ^^^^

If I don't plan on saving the yeast, I just throw the hops right in primary. If harvesting, I rack to secondary then dry hop.

I always dry hop in secondary, because I need the primary for another brew. It's not worth buying another primary, because I only do this 2 or 3 times a year.

-a.

The guy from stone said that if you have a large amount of yeast in suspension, it will reduce the effectiveness of your dry hops. So if you do dry hop in primary, it's a good idea to cold crash first.

But if you transfer to a secondary without cold crashing, won't all that yeast still be in suspension?

Back