Why not use a lid while boiling your brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasttimes

Reaction score
I'm just curious why you shoudn't use a lid while boiling your wort? It would seem to me you would minimize the loss of the liquid? What are the negatives of this?

While it would minimize the loss of liquid, it would maximize the presence of DMS (dimethyl sulfides) which give your brew a cooked corn or vegetable taste. That evaporation serves a purpose by carrying off nasties you don't want.

You can leave the lid on until you get to a boil, however.

Also, in many cases (such as partial mashes and all-grain) you are looking to boil off water! Sometimes it is neccasary to boil for a bit before additions just for boil-off.

DMS is really only an issue with all grain and partial mash brewing. Extract brewers can leave the lid on without much concern over it since DMS is already removed from the extract. If you have a lot of steeping grains, it might pose a problem, but it will be minimal if at all.

The threat of boilover is the biggest concern for extract brewers and lids...

What about leaving the lid on but just off to the side so you're allowing the steam etc to exit, while still holding in some heat? Still have a DMS problem?

I generally leave the lid on for the last part of the boil when I add the aroma hops... I have to watch it closer for boil over but I have been told by my LHBS that it helps catch the hop aromas in the wort...

DMS is really only an issue with all grain and partial mash brewing. Extract brewers can leave the lid on without much concern over it since DMS is already removed from the extract. If you have a lot of steeping grains, it might pose a problem, but it will be minimal if at all.

The threat of boilover is the biggest concern for extract brewers and lids...

Thanks for the clarification. I left that out. Personal methods trumped. :)

Go ahead. Leave your lid on. I dare ya.

Just keep a camera close by for us. :mug:

photo(18).JPG

What about leaving the lid on but just off to the side so you're allowing the steam etc to exit, while still holding in some heat? Still have a DMS problem?

Yes, you can. The moisture that collects on the underside of the lid drips back down into the wort, DMS included.

I'm just curious why you shoudn't use a lid while boiling your wort? It would seem to me you would minimize the loss of the liquid? What are the negatives of this?

Here's why: all the hops you added to your the wort will initially break down in your wort (that's good), but then will be soon carried up by water vapor to form a ring near the top of your kettle and on the bottom of your lid. The end result: the hops will not be in your wort (that's bad!).

Back