Why no higher end picnic taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that use 4mm ID EVABarrier line, what length works well for you? Making the switch over would be one reason I would want to try these flare connector taps. I currently use around 6 ft of 3/16" tubing. I find that it works okay for me, but my friends struggle to get a good pour without too much foam due to how fast it pours.
I use pluto taps, some older with a 1/4" barb. Heated the 4mm EVA line in water and friction fit. Sits with the EVA coils on top of their respective kegs in the keezer (no mods yet, just an inkbird).

I mention the pluto taps because I've found they produce a slightly faster pour than a cobra tap at the same pressure (at least in my experience). With that in mind, I went a bit longer on the lines, a pair 8ft and another about 9ft to use the rest of the line I had.

Running at 15 PSI most of the time and the temp in the high 40s in the keezer, I am getting a 12-14 second pour (12oz) with these lines. No other flow control, and it's a good fit for stouts as well as crisp lagers (that keg gets the 9ft line).

I use about 5ft on mine with no issues.

I had to buy my line in full 39ft spools which was about $13. No big deal since I was going to use all of it. If you're not needing that much line, @Bobby_M sells 5.5ft sections.

Yeah, two 39ft spools covered both my gas and beer lines for 5 kegs and several utility/jumper lines for closed transfers. Actually, I think I have most of that 2nd spool still...

"with stainless components and internal parts"

i plan on reporting back on this....but if true, well it'd be cool, but honestly i'd buy two more when i set up my other kegerator anyway! using these things make me feel like i've got a rich daddy, and i'm at a harvard frat party! ;)
It's the "and" that's the get out of jail free card. Maybe they mean it has stainless components "and" it has internal parts. Depends on how you read that as to whether the internal parts are stainless. Agree it would be cool if the innards are stainless too. Regardless, got three on the way...

I've been a practicing cynical pessimist for verging on 6 decades now, yet in this case the clumsy ad copy doesn't take away from what I believe is a faithfully executed all-stainless steel design.

Hopefully that's not misplaced faith on my part. That would suck ;)

Cheers!

faithfully executed all-stainless steel design.

Hopefully that's not misplaced faith on my part. That would suck

i'd say so...said they sold 1,500 at $20 a pop...that only 30k in a year, for a nich market...i think about the fabrication, shipping...everybody's cut to my door...these things are a steal and awesome. despite my technical dificulty with the thing inside (my bailing wire is holding up)

@bracconiere can you confirm if the dimensions on these are identical to regular picnic taps? Asking because I found out a 3/8" regular Valpar beer line fits perfectly into the opening on a regular plastic picnic tap. I use that fact, with a longer beer line and a piece of 3/8" cut to around 1ft to fill my beer bottles. Simply pop the picnic tap on the keg, stick the short piece of beer line in the picnic tap, insert into the bottle and fill it from the bottom with no foaming.

It works a treat.

Received my three yesterday. Very nice. Solid. May be a few days before I can hook one up but I have a couple questions. I unscrewed the cap to see what the insides look like but it doesn't seem like it wants to come apart. The cap unscrews all the way but when I try to lift out the insides, it feels like something (like a spring) is holding everything in place. I gave it a decent tug but didn't want to break anything. Should the inside pieces come out (ie for cleaning, etc)?
Also, the flare threaded end does not have a built-in gasket like you would see on 1/4" flare quick connect fitting. Do these taps require a 1/4 flare gasket to make a good seal?

Last edited:
can you confirm if the dimensions on these are identical to regular picnic taps? Asking because I found out a 3/8" regular Valpar beer line fits perfectly into the opening on a regular plastic picnic tap. I use that fact, with a longer beer line and a piece of 3/8" cut to around 1ft to fill my beer bottles. Simply pop the picnic tap on the keg, stick the short piece of beer line in the picnic tap, insert into the bottle and fill it from the bottom with no foaming.

It works a treat.
With my plastic picnic taps, I used the hard plastic tube from a broken bottle filler that fit nicely into the tap for filling bottles. That piece of tube does not fit in the new SS tap so the opening appears to be ever so slightly smaller. However, I found that a piece of 3/8 OD silicone tubing fits snugly around (not in) the output of the SS tap so I will just switch to using that instead to fill bottles with

Do these taps require a 1/4 flare gasket to make a good seal?
On homebrew equipment, metal to metal flare surfaces need a (fisheye) flare gasket, so I guess you may need one with your picnic tap flare connection too. But if the surfaces mate perfectly you can probably get away without, not sure, you can try...

With my plastic picnic taps, I used the hard plastic tube from a broken bottle filler that fit nicely into the tap for filling bottles.
Hah! I do the same. And for filling growlers too.
I use a drilled rubber stopper over the tube to reduce foaming and keep the beer better carbonated.

I wonder if that's common knowledge around homebrewers...

Received my three yesterday. Very nice. Solid. May be a few days before I can hook one up but I have a couple questions. I unscrewed the cap to see what the insides look like but it doesn't seem like it wants to come apart. The cap unscrews all the way but when I try to lift out the insides, it feels like something (like a spring) is holding everything in place. I gave it a decent tug but didn't want to break anything. Should the inside pieces come out (ie for cleaning, etc)?
Also, the flare threaded end does not have a built-in gasket like you would see on 1/4" flare quick connect fitting. Do these taps require a 1/4 flare gasket to make a good seal?

1/4" Nylon Flare Washer
1654821785121.png

I wonder if that's common knowledge around homebrewers...

must be! i had the idea independently.....1/4" tube fits in a picnic tap spout perfectly, and shove it through a carboy bung, kinda just firm pressure when filling a bottle, vent a bit when the flow slows down...

got my flare taps! looks like they redesigned the inereds, and they don't drip, but it is still a plastic pin inside...still love them!

Should the inside pieces come out (ie for cleaning, etc)?

it should? i pulled mine out...but not the silicon plunger.. the whole point of the flare is for easy cleaning in my head. i'll try my tap that's live now and see.

yeah, it took a bit of coaxing to get the silicone part out but realativly easy...the piston just has to pop out the bottom of the stopper....

1654826433403.png

edit: and it was just unscrewing it from the line....quick clean between kegs, keep the gnats away....

Note that the Duotight Push-In Flare Fittings say they do not require a flare washer (which is what I am looking at using).
https://www.morebeer.com/products/duotight-pushin-fitting-8-mm-516-14-flare.html
Otherwise, it looks like you should add a flare washer to the order as well. Good info to know, since all my plastic picnic taps Ball Lock Quick Disconnects have the nylon washer built in.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/flare-fitting-washer.html

Last edited:
Note that the Duotight Push-In Flare Fittings say they do not require a flare washer (which is what I am looking at using).
https://www.morebeer.com/products/duotight-pushin-fitting-8-mm-516-14-flare.html
Otherwise, it looks like you should add a flare washer to the order as well. Good info to know, since all my plastic picnic taps Ball Lock Quick Disconnects have the nylon washer built in.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/flare-fitting-washer.html

No need of the flare washers with the Duotights. I don't run them on mine.

I bought the flared ss taps last year when they were first available. I like them, look cool and if it dropped (after a few some friends do) it has not broken like the plastic ones. Now that they have mfd ones looks like I can replace the others. Dang I like this group!

it should? i pulled mine out...but not the silicon plunger.. the whole point of the flare is for easy cleaning in my head. i'll try my tap that's live now and see.

yeah, it took a bit of coaxing to get the silicone part out but realativly easy...the piston just has to pop out the bottom of the stopper....

Interesting. I unscrewed the cap and gave the top a firm but easy pull. The piston pulled right out like you said but it ripped the silicone plunger. That's no good. It needs to come apart for cleaning... I wonder if they'll send me another silicone part?

Last edited:
Interesting. I unscrewed the cap and gave the top a firm but easy pull. The piston pulled right out like you said but it ripped the silicone plunger. That's no good. It needs to come apart for cleaning... I wonder if they'll send me another silicone part?

i pulled both mine apart, and i did notice a crack in the stopper, but it's working fine? that little lip on the stopper the piston goes in just needs to pull it up...and mine are working fine, even with a slight crack in the stopper?

i pulled both mine apart, and i did notice a crack in the stopper, but it's working fine? that little lip on the stopper the piston goes in just needs to pull it up...and mine are working fine, even with a slight crack in the stopper?
I put it back together and it seems to be working the plunger ok even with the tear. Hopefully the tear does not grow. If the piston needs to grab that lip to pull the plunger up, then if that tear gets bigger, I can see the piston pulling out of the plunger instead of lifting it. I guess we'll see...

I put it back together and it seems to be working the plunger ok even with the tear. Hopefully the tear does not grow. If the piston needs to grab that lip to pull the plunger up, then if that tear gets bigger, I can see the piston pulling out of the plunger instead of lifting it. I guess we'll see...

i've poured two kegs with the other one i popped out...still working good...

If you need to replace some inner parts in future,you may contact Morebeer,then they will contact
the manufacturer for replacement parts.
I emailed morebeer about the torn plunger and asked if I could purchase replacement internal parts for the tap. They said at this time they do not offer replacement parts for these taps - maybe in the future they might. However, without prompting on my part, they said they were shipping an entire new tap to replace the one with the torn plunger. I'd call that good customer service.

I have these and absolutely love them!

Small footprint, simple to clean, easy to disconnect/connect as needed, no dripping or mess. Only $20 too!

I actually started using these instead of my fancy intertap faucets. Its nice not having a line or faucet to clean!

That's neat! Might be nice for taking samples from my kegmenter so I don't have a whole tap and line in the fermentation fridge.

I have these and absolutely love them!

Small footprint, simple to clean, easy to disconnect/connect as needed, no dripping or mess. Only $20 too!

I actually started using these instead of my fancy intertap faucets. Its nice not having a line or faucet to clean!

Interesting! So... my more classic mini tap / faucet that sits on the post shoots nothing but foam (carbed to ~ 13 psi). I have to bleed the keg first down to nearly no pressure (just lift the PRV, not a huge deal but not ideal). I use the mini tap occasionally to take a sample of say an Imperial Stout. Does this device not need to do that?

Interesting! So... my more classic mini tap / faucet that sits on the post shoots nothing but foam (carbed to ~ 13 psi). I have to bleed the keg first down to nearly no pressure (just lift the PRV, not a huge deal but not ideal). I use the mini tap occasionally to take a sample of say an Imperial Stout. Does this device not need to do that?
Correct, no need to reduce pressure

Make sure to keep the tap cold though. I just store mine in the fridge with a carb cap. In between uses I screw the carb on to a PET bottle filled with star san & run the star san through it.

If the tap isn't cold you will get foam. Also make sure you turn the knob all the way until it clicks. If you don't open all the way you can get foam.

Make sure to not overtighten the anodized rod when screwing on to the black ball lock QD as this can pinch the O ring.

For beers < 12 PSI (keezer temp @ 35 degrees) I do not get much foam. For more highly carbonated beers you may gets some, but that doesn't bother me as I generally prefer slow pours

well one of my flare ended picnic taps just bit the dust....the plastic plunger inside snapped, :( i wonder if aluminum would be around the same price as plastic for the plunger?

Last edited:
Back